Problem with cucumber?

• 4 Replies

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
Problem with cucumber?
« on: June 13, 2019, 08:00 »
Hi, I'm not sure if I have a problem with my young cucumber plants. They are starting to develop yellow spotting on the leaves. Does anybody have an idea what the issue is? Thanks.
6.png

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Problem with cucumber?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07 »
Have you had a look for aphids on the undersides of the leaves? sometimes the leaves look crispy if the aphids have now moved elsewhere, so may have caused the damage even if no longer there. Squish or spray with soapy water and keep an eye on them ;)
If the spots start to get bigger and turn greyish, or white, underneath then it could be downy mildew - in which case there isn't anything to do other than remove the plant before it spreads.
If they just stay spotted then it could be mosaic virus - still nothing you can do for these apart from remove them as you risk spreading the virus, and any fruit would be bitter.
I hope it's just aphids causing your damage, before the rain, there were a lot of them this Spring :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 14:33 »
Red spider mite is another possibility (they will be on the underside of the leaves but you need very good eyesight or a magnifying glass to see them.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 14:54 »
Have you had a look for aphids on the undersides of the leaves? sometimes the leaves look crispy if the aphids have now moved elsewhere, so may have caused the damage even if no longer there. Squish or spray with soapy water and keep an eye on them ;)
If the spots start to get bigger and turn greyish, or white, underneath then it could be downy mildew - in which case there isn't anything to do other than remove the plant before it spreads.
If they just stay spotted then it could be mosaic virus - still nothing you can do for these apart from remove them as you risk spreading the virus, and any fruit would be bitter.
I hope it's just aphids causing your damage, before the rain, there were a lot of them this Spring :(
Interesting, I will look in detail later. I have not noticed any aphids but that does not mean they are not there. Thanks for the info.

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 14:55 »
Red spider mite is another possibility (they will be on the underside of the leaves but you need very good eyesight or a magnifying glass to see them.)
I will look for the little spiders later, thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 14:57 by Iecabus »

xx
cucumber problem?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 00:23
by Dan78
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 14:12
by mumofstig
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 23:48
by Plot74
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Mudge on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:12
by Growster...

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 45 queries.