LAV35 engine on a Mountfield M1

• 3 Replies

Sandpit

LAV35 engine on a Mountfield M1
« on: July 16, 2012, 21:09 »
Hi

I'm hoping I can pick the brains of someone that knows a bit about a small engine that I've been repairing. It's a Aspera engine which I believe is basically a Techumseh LAV35. It's got a bowl type carb - other than that I don't know a lot about it other than it hasn't been run for a few years.

I've managed to get it running following a good clean of the fuel system with the help of some posts on this forum. I did have a few issues - I couldn't remove the main jet as the screw head had already been removed so I've only been able to clear the main hole - are there others? and the small bolt holding the bowl on didn't have any holes to clean as I see some others have had. But she now starts easily.

But my main concern is that the throttle control is not correct as I don't seem to be able to slow it down once started and it sounds too fast... I suspect that I may not have the linkages set up correctly to the governor. Has anyone got a picture/diagram of the correct linkage? I've also read that I may need to adjust the governor arm(?) but didn't want to try this until I was sure of the overall set up being correct. The arm also swings quite freely does this mean the governor could be broken?

Any help much appreciated
Colin

grendel

Re: LAV35 engine on a Mountfield M1
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 23:31 »
the governer is just pushed from the other end of the lever in an aspera, so can move on its own if you try. there is generally a spring leading to the governor lever that onn my h35 aspera is operated by a speed control lever, generally you can adjust the speed by tweaking the length of the linkage from the governor arm to the throttle butterfly.
the manuals for this engine can be found here - http://www.allotment-garden.org/shop/rotavator-manuals
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:33 »
Not sure if the attached photos are of any good?? But, they do show the linkage of a Dellorto FHC 20.13 carb on a Techumseh LA35 engine. Prior to my removal and cleaning. Mike.

Carb1-001.jpg
Carb2-001.jpg

Sandpit

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 21:36 »
Thanks Mike, unfortunately it looks like a slightly different carb.

Grendal - I'd already looked at the M1 manuals and hadn't realised there was an engine manual hiding in there as well though. Looking at the pictures it looks as though I've got it hooked up correctly.

I think I need to just give it a good run an see what happens. I've not used small engines like these for a while and have never really noticed how fast they rev. Plus I'm waiting for an exhaust for it which might help a little with the noise level (a bit anyway). Also waiting for some oil for the gearbox and replacement belts - so a short break in the weather at the weekend and I'll know one way or the other.

Worst case I'll be looking for an easy engine swap!

Thanks for the help.

xx
Mountfield RV40 engine

Started by mitzygolf on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 12:55
by grendel
xx
Mountfield M1 Tiller with B&S 3.5 HP Engine

Started by PIMBO on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 22:21
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Simple question - Tecumseh Aspera Mountfield M1 engine- Gwiz, can you help?

Started by Honeymonster on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 12:41
by Gwiz
xx
non starting merry tiller 1978 white engine curvy handle engine model 130282

Started by T Howell on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 11:24
by T Howell

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 37 queries.