Stihl electric strimmer cutting out

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Stihl electric strimmer cutting out
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:40 »
I bought a Stihl electric strimmer about two years ago and, on using it to strim the grass between my veg beds, found that sometimes when I stopped it to move something or whatever, it wouldn't start again, so I put it back in the shed and tried the next day and it was ok. After this had happened a few times, I took it back to the shop who were very good and, though they couldn't find the fault (perhaps because they weren't strimming with it and not running and stopping it long enough?), they replaced the starting switch. It is still doing it, though I haven't been back to them as I don't know what else they could do. The motor casing doesn't feel warm and it doesn't do it every time - very unpredictable and frustrating. Any ideas?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gwiz

Re: Stihl electric strimmer cutting out
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43 »
Is this a battery strimmer or a 240volt plug-in-the-mains one?

grendel

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58 »
slight break in the cable that disconnects when it is bent 'just so' either just where it leaves the plug or where it enters the machine (we have a hoover that does this but only cuts out when the wire is bent in a certain direction at just the wrong point).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 13:04 »
Is this a battery strimmer or a 240volt plug-in-the-mains one?
It's a plug-in one. As to grendel's comment, it's a good idea, but I would have thought that when I moved its cable around (and I have to a lot) it would do it then. It only happens when I stop using it and try to start it again. I did wonder if it was moist air coming up from the strimmed grass that was making the motor cut out, as I have lain the strimmer on the ground before trying to start it again, but I think it has done it when I have rested it upright.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 14:38 »
Along with Grendel, I wondered about a damaged wire in a mains type machine, but thought that any workshop worth it's name would check for that.
I expect that their maybe some manner of thermal cutout on the motor that is kicking in when you stop the motor. Although the casing may not feel warm, it could be that the motor is, but that would depend on things like how long you are using it for, how long the "string" is, whether or not the automatic string cutter has been removed or has fallen off, or that the machine is just plain faulty and should have been fixed under warranty.
I would get back in touch with the company that looked at it last time and tell them that it is still the same. I would also get in touch with Stilh UK customer services and tell them that you ain't happy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 14:39 »
Thanks for your advice. Firstly, it never cuts out when I use it. I did wonder about a thermal cut-out but it takes over 2 hours at least to get working again. Not sure what you mean about the "string" - you mean the plastic cutting wire? It has two of them and is in place. Think I will contact Stihl customer advice and see what happens.

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 17:01 »
I have had this same problem on petrol machines that have small tolerances on the dead-mans-handle mechanism. When the engine got hot and everything expanded, the cut out switches would engage stopping the engine. It was a simple fix, but was very annoying for the operator until it was. I wonder if something similar is happening with the switch on your machine. The fact that the machine takes a couple of hours to get so you can start it again would suggest that it is (to me, anyway)
Phone Stihl, they are very keen that you remain a happy punter.

smud6ie

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 17:37 »
I agree it does sound a thermal cutout problem,it may sound strange but the temperature can rise slightly within the machine after stoping because the fan is not running to cool things down but it shouldn't take long to cool down again unless its sticking
Do you have access to a compressor or hair drier on cool air that you could blow through to see if it cools it enough to speed up the restart time?
smud6ie
edit: can't find any info that they have a cut out!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 18:31 by smud6ie »

xx
Stihl strimmer

Started by harry on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 16:32
by Gwiz
xx
Stihl F36 Strimmer - Repair?

Started by amc on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 09:06
by amc
xx
another strimmer problem stihl 586

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 19:58
by new_2_veg
xx
Stihl fs86 strimmer

Started by jezza on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2017, 23:20
by jezza

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 34 queries.