Hoe sharpening

• 66 Replies

mushroom

Hoe sharpening
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:06 »
hi,

I recently read that hoes, in order to use them properly, need to be sharpened.

How true is this, and how sharp is sharp, and what do you use to sharpen it (presumably a grinding stone)?

On reflection, I guess my hoe isn't very good. It is new, and made from an iron hoe end that has the neck of it shoved into a tapered aluminium handle. When I first used it, the hoe bit fell off. I glued it back in with epoxy resin, which has held up well.

The hoe end is painted in green hammerite. This is why i thought it didn't have to be sharp. I suppose I can burn or grind the hammerite off. Why did they do this, agggh  :evil:

Does a dutch hoe need the same treatment? That one is stainless steel. I wouldn't have thought it could retain a sharp edge whilst being worked in the soil, stainless being too soft. The regular hoe is carbon steel from what I can make of it, though...

new_2_veg

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:08 »
i use a file on my hoe

she moans a bit but it works :roll:
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Hoe sharpening
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:28 »
Best bet id a file and then finish off with a stone as you would a scythe It doesn't need need to be knife sharp jujst a decent edge. BTW you'll find it's worth keeping a small stone in your pocket just to keep the edge
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

muntjac

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:34 »
always use a half moon file here ... yeh i know its not a half moon ,this is for them dont know what it is  :roll: loike what i dont :lol:
still alive /............

splodger

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 17:17 »
to keep your tools nice and clean and sharp - put them in a bucket of sand and oil after you have used them  :wink:

to sharp my hoes - i just clean them off - give them a quick going over with the a s/stone and rub with sandpaper - sometimes sandpaper is enough

mushroom

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 18:34 »
Quote from: "new_2_veg"
i use a file on my hoe

she moans a bit but it works :roll:

LOL  :D

mushroom

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 18:36 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Best bet id a file and then finish off with a stone as you would a scythe It doesn't need need to be knife sharp jujst a decent edge. BTW you'll find it's worth keeping a small stone in your pocket just to keep the edge

How edgy is an edge? hmm I'll take a picture of it and post tomorrow. It looks blunt to me, you couldn't cut your hand with it.

What about dutch hoes? Same principle???

mkhenry

Re: Hoe sharpening
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 18:48 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
hi,

I recently read that hoes, in order to use them properly, need to be sharpened.

How true is this, and how sharp is sharp, and what do you use to sharpen it (presumably a grinding stone)?

On reflection, I guess my hoe isn't very good. It is new, and made from an iron hoe end that has the neck of it shoved into a tapered aluminium handle. When I first used it, the hoe bit fell off. I glued it back in with epoxy resin, which has held up well.

The hoe end is painted in green hammerite. This is why i thought it didn't have to be sharp. I suppose I can burn or grind the hammerite off. Why did they do this, agggh  :evil:

Does a dutch hoe need the same treatment? That one is stainless steel. I wouldn't have thought it could retain a sharp edge whilst being worked in the soil, stainless being too soft. The regular hoe is carbon steel from what I can make of it, though...

The main reasons for having an edge on a hoe are as follows.

When you hoe you disturb weed seeds that if they come to the surface they will start growing like wildfire.

A shape hoe disturbs less weed seeds.

Also when you hoe you are opening up the ground to air and letting moisture get in a little easier.You are gently breaking up the surface.

A blunt edge compacts the soil defeating the object of hoeing.

When you hoe you will sooner or later come across a thicker or stronger stalk or weed,a blunt hoe will skip over the surface and you may cut the veg plants head off.
A sharp hoe will chop the weed instead.

There are other reasons but these are the main ones .

Hope this helps. :wink:  :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Bigbadfrankie

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 22:20 »
A shape hoe disturbs less weeds :shock:

just wot shape dont they like :D  :roll:
always have a target
and an objective.

Bigbadfrankie

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 22:24 »
i still think that hoeing can be replaced with mechanical means.

grt out the howard :?

shaun

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 19:56 »
well said frankie but i do like to hoe now and again when the sun is out  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 20:10 »
hi,

Stainless steel softer than carbon steel or generally soft?  Who's told you that?  Granted some high carbon and alloy steels, hardened and tempered, may well top the table but I doubt you'd find that grade on garden tools.  General household and garden tools, including kitchen knives, are much more resilient (harder) when made of stainless steel.  Stainless tools are more difficult to sharpen (cos they're harder) but retain their edge longer (because they're harder) than carbon steel blades.

mushroom

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 20:35 »
Quote from: "Tinbasher"

Stainless steel softer than carbon steel or generally soft?  Who's told you that?

I thought that stainless is more ductile than carbon steel (I associate carbon steel with brittleness, possibly incorrectly - I was never a metallurgist. Probably because I know that cast iron is brittle)

Quote from: "Tinbasher"

Granted some high carbon and alloy steels, hardened and tempered, may well top the table but I doubt you'd find that grade on garden tools.  General household and garden tools, including kitchen knives, are much more resilient (harder) when made of stainless steel.  Stainless tools are more difficult to sharpen (cos they're harder) but retain their edge longer (because they're harder) than carbon steel blades.

This site upholds what you say but then goes on to say the most durable edge of all the knives in his collection is the one made from carbon steel  :lol: so I guess there's not a lot in it.

In any case, I stand corrected  :)

muntjac

Hoe sharpening
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 20:37 »
spear n jackson tried to make a high carbon garden set .. failed cos it broke under stress back to steel they went ...

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 02:19 »

I thought that stainless is more ductile than carbon steel (I associate carbon steel with brittleness, possibly incorrectly - I was never a metallurgist. Probably because I know that cast iron is brittle)            

This site[/URL] upholds what you say but then goes on to say the most durable edge of all the knives in his collection is the one made from carbon steel  :lol: so I guess there's not a lot in it.

In any case, I stand corrected  :)

It can be a complex subject.

Ductility is the ability, or degree to which, a metal can be drawn out, as in a wire.   Hardness is the resistance to indentation or wear by materials harder or more abrasive than the metal in question.  Malleable is the word you are seeking here, the degree to which a metal can be formed (or deformed) before it breaks.  Yes, generally the more ductile and malleable a metal is, the less hard it will be and the less tensile strength it will have.  There is always a trade-off and it's impossible (though the developers try) to have the maximum of every quality in one grade of metal, be it steel or whatever.

All steels contain carbon.  Steel isn't an element but an alloy, just like brass or bronze. Steel is then an alloy of iron and carbon.  Complete elimination (extremely difficult) of all carbon and any other trace elements would leave pure iron, itself a relatively soft, malleable and ductile material but more or less useless for any kind of tool or implement.  The original 'wrought-iron' would have been near pure iron and lends itself well to forming artistic shapes, especially when red hot.  There is virtually no wrought-iron today in this original sense.  All modern 'wrought-ironwork' will actually be mild steel which is a very low carbon content (0.03% typically) steel.  Mild steel cannot be appreciably hardened by heat and quench methods as there isn't enough carbon content.  It is relatively soft and can be quite easily worked hot or cold.  In the higher carbon content ranges (up to about 3%) the steel can be hardened by heat and quench as the liquid carbon (in red hot steel) is trapped by sudden and rapid quenching and forms iron carbide which is dispersed within the structure.  Iron Carbide is an extremely hard but also very brittle material.

The degree of hardness that can be attained then is more or less directly related to the carbon content.  However even plain carbon steels are now rare as a multitude of trace elements are added for differing qualities.  Manganese is the most commonly added element along with the carbon allowed to remain.  There are over 2000 kinds of carbon and alloy steels available, probably now more as development continues all the time.

You are correct in saying that high-quality carbon steel is probably the better material for knives and such.  It doesn't come cheap and the precision hardening (and then tempering) is a technical matter that also requires skill and precise equipment.  High quality tools will generally have Manganese, Vanadium, Molybdenum or Nickel (or a combination of these and maybe others) added to a plain carbon steel mix.  This is why high-quality tools are obviously expensive.  You get what you pay for.  Carbon steels of any quality require looking after.  They will rust readily and can chip or even snap if exposed to excessive force.  The higher the carbon, the harder they will tend to be (if hardened properly and then not overheated so 'drawing the temper') and the more brittle they will then be too.

Nonetheless, Stainless Steel is itself a high quality and expensive product.  It is much harder than a lot of steels, certainly mild steel and many low carbon steels.   Think cutlery and even sink unit tops.  Typical mixtures include 18% Chromium and 8% Nickel as well as some carbon and trace elements.  So much in fact that it isn't really a steel at all, and behaves differently so that hardening and forging methods tend to be entirely different.  The major added bonus is also resistance to corrosion.

Forging (hot or cold) also imparts strength, or rather toughness, to steels, including stainless.  Most steels, even mild steel, become harder and tougher when worked or hammered.  This is known as 'work-hardening' or 'strain-hardening' and is often undesirable but is used to advantage in forging into shape.

Cast iron (typically 3% - 6% carbon) is indeed a brittle material, but is produced by pouring when molten (casting) and isn't drawn or forged as a steel would be.  By careful control and by ageing it can be made fairly hard.  It has low Tensile Strength but high Compressive Strength and is also quite thermally stable - doesn't change shape much when subjected to heat, though sudden high heat or cooling will crack it for sure.

Hardness - resistance to indentation or wear

Toughness - resistance to breakage or deformation by sudden shock or impact

Tensile Strength - resistance to shearing when put under tension (pulled from either end) - high quality bolts need high TS

Ductility - the ability to be drawn out into a wire - Brass is superb for this.

Malleability - the degree a metal can be formed before breakage - most metals are more malleable when hot.

As regards garden tools, I would say that forged stainless steel would be by far the better material to obtain and that's before the corrosion-resistant factor is considered.  Given that, they win hands down.  Knives and such are probably better in high-carbon steel, but expect to look after them and to pay more for them than their stainless counterparts.  Cheap carbon steel tools are a waste of time and money, and can be dangerous when they suddenly snap or spend all their lives blunt.

Sharpening by high-speed grinding wheels (including an angle grinder), particularly with carbon steels, must be done carefully.  Never overheat the steel, which can very easily occur at the business end which tends to be a thin edge.  If a steel is overheated so much it turns blue, it's probably ruined.  The temper has been drawn and the only cure is to re-harden all over again, more or less beyond most peoples' facilities.  Have pauses between passes on the wheel to allow cooling, or even better, have a receptacle containing clean, cold water and very regularly dip the tool in the water to keep the edge cool.  A file will generally be the best tool for sharpening things such as spades, hoes and even fork tines.  For keener edges, a file if the edge is really ragged, followed by a hand sharpening stone.

The link you posted is a good 'un, thanks.

I think that's enough to be going on with.  Sorry. :roll:

xx
Knife sharpening

Started by jim1972 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 20:36
by jim1972
xx
sharpening tools

Started by Sharon on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 06:47
by Rangerkris
xx
Sharpening secateurs

Started by Elaine G on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2017, 14:43
by Elaine G
xx
Sharpening Stone.

Started by Minty on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 00:33
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 28 queries.