Large flower bed - where to step?

• 10 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Large flower bed - where to step?
« on: April 11, 2011, 15:25 »
Hi all,

We're working on our cottage garden and in the plans have quite a large (deep) flower bed.  It'll be about 8-9 ft deep at one end, and around 16 ft long (it will be more 4 ft deep at the other end).

Just wondering if you have any tips on how to have hidden places to step which won't stand out and won't look silly during winter when there's less growth?

We plan for the whole bed to be overgrown in allsorts and so there won't be much if any visible soil.

We've thought about a few small slabs here and there or maybe a couple of sleepers running along...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Large flower bed - where to step?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 16:00 »
Assuming they will be too many plants to get the access you want with a scaffolding plank I would go for small (18") slabs which are large enough to stand on but small enough to remove without slipping a disc if you don't like looking at them!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 16:27 »
I have found that I look at where I have trod over the last year and put down something to step on there, rather than thinking where I might tread - this works in all sorts of areas because it takes into consideration your natural movements rather than being predictive about them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 16:59 »
Thanks for your suggestions - nice point about waiting to see where you go rather than try to predict.  At the moment we have a big pile of soil and that's it so we've no idea where we'll have to step regularly...

catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 19:49 »
are you going to leave room along the back so you can get through there too?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 21:04 »
I had that same problem when I set up my big east flower garden. First I set in all the shrubs to get the 'bones' in place, then decided where I'd place a few of the larger flowers like delphs and hollyhocks. From there I knew roughly where I'd be stepping for maintenance and I set in small hexagonal patio slabs that are about a foot size, in logical spaces so that I have clear areas to step on without making it an actual slab to slab path. You can barely see the slabs, and sometimes I can barely find them to step on  :D

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 22:14 »
Hi Chasechicken, like Cattlar mentioned, we created a long deep bed last year and allowed 18 inch wide 'service path' along the back - it's covered with bark so it blends in with the bed (as opposed to gravel or similar) and I can't tell you how brilliant it is to be able to walk along the back of a bed to garden - invaluable, you absolutely must put one in  :)!! Jude.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:01 »
I like the idea of bark because it blends in but the chickens would just scratch it away!
I put down some small Portland stone slabs spaced out for stepping 2 feet from the back fence. My bed is about 7 ft deep so I can reach it all either from the front or back.
As the stone is pretty old (recycled from a neighbour) it's weathered and looks ok.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:43 »
More great suggestions thanks - all going to plan our hens won't be getting near this section of the garden!  The little monkeys!

A path at the back is a nice idea - we have a fence along the back and a lower picket fence along one of the sides, so this may well be a good idea, just concerned it might stand out.  If anybody is willing to post some pics that would be great?

Thanks though, some good suggestions for me to consider!!

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31 »
I use small slabs as I had them but slices of tree trunk or flat stones, yorkstone slabs etc can look more natural. A bit of a broken slab can actually look better than a regular shaped whole one.
Agree with others -- give it a season and find where you actually step and put step points there NOT where you think you need them. Also gives time to find something nice.
R

sion01

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 20:40 »
I use pieces of planks just when I need to weed/plant the front and use the little path at the back as suggested previously,and just move them as I move across the bed.I always manage to lose my balance though and fall or tread on the flower/plant that I like the most :wacko: sod's law

xx
Large Scale Composting

Started by Ed89 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 18:16
by sunshineband
xx
large plant for container?

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 21:03
by sion01
xx
Large Euphorbias died - why

Started by julietmaria on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 22:39
by julietmaria
xx
Unusually large marigolds ?

Started by Sideshoot on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:53
by joyce c

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 29 queries.