sweet peas

• 11 Replies

scotty

sweet peas
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:34 »
quick Q, how hardy are these and can i plant out yet. they germinated well and are about 6-8ins and looking a bit leggy. they sit outside all day but still in at night.

i would really like to get them out but we are still having frost at night here. could i get away with planting out?

cheers
Di
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:50 »
They can go out as long as you've hardened them off. Mine have been out for about a fortnight :)

scotty

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54 »
thanks MOS,
will try to get them out this weekend. struggling to work out when to do stuff. only just sowing seeds now for most of my veg as so much colder up here and i'm really just guessing as to how much later to leave things, (but not too late i hope)  :wacko:

Di

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 16:15 »
I am just sowing seeds too and I am in the Glasgow area.  It was too frosty at the weekend for me to risk leaving anything out and I would still be reluctant to put anything too tender outside unless I had covers in case it got cold again.  We have had quite a few beautiful sunny days recently but it is baltic overnight!  :(

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 16:48 »
I feel for you southerners, no frosts up here  :tongue2:

Mine went in a couple of weeks ago!!

Bob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 16:52 by Eatyourgreens »

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 17:49 »
Sweet peas are hardy.  Mine have been out for about a month, and while the wind has done a bit of damage, the frosts weren't a problem.

scotty

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:59 »
thanks everyone,

yes still scraping the car in the mornings :tongue2:
definately going to plant out at the weekend. at the end of they day they will survive or die, either way lesson learned.
keep reading about what folk have got in already and panic :ohmy:
then calm down and convince myself i'm still on track. :)

thanks Debz, if you'v done all this before helpfull hints on sowing would be great. you may of guessed this is my first time :blink:

Di

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40 »
I reckon the central belt has some of the most extreme micro climates in the country, I am about 350 miles north of you and get very little frost even in winter and that is why I often have to cut my grass in February as it doesn't really stop growing.

My sister lives in a small village outside Airdrie and she can grow an amazing amount of stuff, yet all around her plants get frosted, she is on a south facing slope with a large hedge just on the north side of her garden and although it gets cold she seems to miss those hard spring frosts that catch so many plants and gardeners out.

I have friends further east and north (Crieff and Aberdeen way) who wouldn't dream of putting plants outside for a month or so yet.

Bob

scotty

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 14:30 »
thanks EYG

your sister must be very close to me, i'm not far from Airdre, however i am on a high up, exposed farm. working on collecting pallets to make a suitable fence round my new veg plot. (i'v claimed a corner of a field). mean while my broad beans are growing with a distinct lean! :mad:
imagine cutting your grass in feb :), our grass in only just starting to come through  in the fields for the livestock.

sweet peas out at weekend
Di

FCG

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 22:57 »
This is why i love living on the Wirral. It's never too cold.

Unfortunately, never too hot either.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 19:18 »
have planted out sweet peas about a week ago and just persuading them to cling onto bottom string (they're about 6inches tall), but something small is nibbling some of the leaves - they were liberally slug pelleted and the holes are tiny - any ideas?

wighty

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 20:34 »
I planted mine out today, all about five inches tall, talked to them nicely and hooked them onto the bottom row of the net.  Last year the shelf fell down and threw them all over the lawn, but picked them up and replanted and they were fine.

xx
Sweet peas

Started by Broadhaven on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 19:54
by green fingers
xx
B & Q Sweet Peas

Started by DD. on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:25
by DD.
xx
Sweet peas

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2018, 05:32
by greetwellboy
xx
sweet peas

Started by snow white on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 13:04
by Optimistic Gardener

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.