Rockery ... mission

• 5 Replies

ally

• Experienced Member
Rockery ... mission
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:05 »
Hi, 

A few years back my husband took a saw and a spade to the rockery in the garden .... at the time I wasnt bothered as I worked and didnt have time for the garden.  NOW I am lucky to be a stay at home mum and its now bothering me .... where we had a mature rockery is now just covered in grass.  So this morning I started the very long job of digging out the grass roots, proning back what didnt get murdered and making sense on what we have left..... there is alot of bear soil. I dont want to spend alot of money on replacing what has been butchered as we havnt decided if its going to stay on a permenant basis, BUT it will be there for this year and next at least.  so is there seeds or plants that will add colour and cheer it all up?  It has full sun til mid afternoon, the grass has taken hold but I am working slowly on getting rid, where the old plants have rooted very deep parts are hard to dig.  Any advice would be great.
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Stree

Re: Rockery ... mission
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 21:20 »
for just a cheap quick cheerful solution for this season? Try nasturtiumn calendula, night scented stock, alyssum, all from seed,  marigolds. some petunias, lobelias and geraniums as plug or small pot plants.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31 »
Small violas are quite cheap as plug plants too and would look very pretty, as well as not growing too large

You can then keep your eye open at car boot sales for little plants that others are selling as offshoots of their own, decide what bulbs to plant in the autumn to flower next spring etc

Avoid anything invasive for goodness sake  :nowink:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00 »
Aubretia, alyssum, snow-in-summer and nemesia maritima would all give you some ground cover over the bare earth and would help to keep down the weeds while you decide what to do with the rockery.

Silkychicks

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12 »
Tropaeolum majus gives gives beautifull bright coloured flowers which taste like radish :)
The seeds are cheap and they are easy to grow. You have climbing varietiy and a 'stay on the ground' variety..

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 14:23 »
Thank you all so much ... I was out weeding and seeing what is what all afternoon yesterday, I hurt today!  anyway the more I look at the rockery and look at the ideas you have all given I dont want my husband to change it into a wall!!!  Just need to stop the children climbing on it to get to the grass as a short cut!!

xx
Rockery

Started by Bailz on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 22:28
by fatcat1955
xx
Rockery based on clay?

Started by ConfusedGardener on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 23:40
by ConfusedGardener
xx
rockery plant/flower seeds

Started by casper on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 21:24
by mumofstig
xx
"Rockery" plants for a sun-dappled site.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 14:32
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 31 queries.