Dimensions for a moveable ark?

• 4 Replies

Kuikentje

Dimensions for a moveable ark?
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:48 »
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but here goes.

Our garden is a reasonable size but the nasty privet hedge that separates us from our neighbour is very gappy at the bottom so our girls will need a moveable run for when we're not actually out in the garden with them.  I am aiming for up to 4 Dutch bantams, we won't really have space for more than that if we want the roosting quarters and nestboxes to be a reasonable size.
So we'll be building the traditional ark-shaped run, I've got the small-gauge wire and we are getting some wood later today.  What size should we make it?  The garden is long and narrow (20' x 90'), what we laughingly call 'the lawn' is a 10' x 10' patch, the rest is not very good flowerbeds, a future vegetable patch and a bit of a herb garden, with a paved area and pond that we can't use for the hens.

Thanks.

grendel

Re: Dimensions for a moveable ark?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 08:08 »
300 cubits long by 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high...
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:03 »
300 cubits long by 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high...
Grendel

I don't think that would be a moveable size and it would take up the neighbouring gardens as well.   :wacko:

It would be fine in the case of flooding of course.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 10:04 »
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but here goes.

Our garden is a reasonable size but the nasty privet hedge that separates us from our neighbour is very gappy at the bottom so our girls will need a moveable run for when we're not actually out in the garden with them.  I am aiming for up to 4 Dutch bantams, we won't really have space for more than that if we want the roosting quarters and nestboxes to be a reasonable size.
So we'll be building the traditional ark-shaped run, I've got the small-gauge wire and we are getting some wood later today.  What size should we make it?  The garden is long and narrow (20' x 90'), what we laughingly call 'the lawn' is a 10' x 10' patch, the rest is not very good flowerbeds, a future vegetable patch and a bit of a herb garden, with a paved area and pond that we can't use for the hens.

Thanks.

You might be better with a coop and moveable fencing either electric or just netting.   ;)

Kuikentje

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 18:45 »
ooh Grendel, should I be getting ducks instead?

We are going to one of those Farm & Pet places tomorrow so my husband can see what the nesting and roosting bit looks like on the inside, so we might be able to get started this weekend.

There are a couple of local breeders who both sound so nice I want to give both of them my business!

xx
dimensions dim

Started by pandoradeus on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 13:16
by pandoradeus
xx
straw bale dimensions?

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2015, 11:05
by Geo

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 35 queries.