It has to be doubtful.

• 9 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
It has to be doubtful.
« on: June 10, 2021, 14:28 »
Looking at my climbing beans, pumpkin, tromboncino and courgette just now, well for the last few days. I have come to my very new to growing conclusion that trying to get a head start on these type crops, with good daytime temperatures but still not right night ones doesn't actually achieve anything good. Putting 5l plastic bottles over them each afternoon keeps them alive, sort of in stasis. But the young plants i put in only a week ago when those night temperatures kept above 10 degrees, well they are well on the way to catching/overtaking the ones i cared for through the last weeks. It will be interesting to compare how the early started and recent plantings produce. Will the later ones actually give a better crop?

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: It has to be doubtful.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 15:13 »
I have found the same with my courgettes this year, I was banking on the weather being the same as last year and thought I would get in early for a bumper crop. next year if I can find the space I'll maybe do the same (in hope) but start some off a few weeks later just in case
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 15:38 »
In my experience the tender 'summer' crops vary as to how much and how long they sulk for if subjected to temperatures (especially night temperatures) too low for comfort.

Tomatoes can literally turn blue with cold, but seem to recover quite quickly when temperatures rise.

Runner beans sulk, sometimes turn pale and stop growing, but recover quite well.

For me sweetcorn is the 'star sulker' - they also turn pale, stop growing, and take some convincing that it's warm enough to resume growing again when it warms up (one year they never really did fully recover and only achieved about half their expected height,)

Most squashes (but not cukes!) seem to recover quite well - they're not easily put off their mission to take over the world!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 09:06 »
H i, started toms early this year in dining room but had to move to cold greenhouse due to space and noticed leaves turned blue. Still alive and some flowers have set but still very sad looking, aubergine about 8inches but others still small, so are sweet and chilli peppers so I wont be rushing next year. Sooooo tempting though when the seed packets arrive

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 11:27 »
The older I get the later I start my standard seeds off  :nowink: The exception being special cases which have really long seasons like the super hot peppers. There's just too much risk / hassle /cost involved in trying to force things against the British weather for a crop which may be 2-3 weeks earlier.

Although I am eagerly awaiting the first ripe tomato of the year  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:40 »
Although I am eagerly awaiting the first ripe tomato of the year  ::)
I agree, but think they'll be a bit later than usual  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 13:04 »
Every year I see others on here getting going early & I'm tempted but I rarely succumb any more as I find it more effort than I want to commit too. Plus once I start I sow the lot  :lol:. Now I’ve got my tunnel I will try to do a few early tomatoes etc followed by the rest at my usual time, what I’m also hoping to do is sow a few later seeds of cucumbers to see if I can keep them going a bit longer now. Famous last words  :lol: might even grow on a couple of side shoots from the tomatoes for later plants who knows  :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 13:36 »
snowdrops, I like your use of the word succumb as that is exactly what I did. Sucker or what. Ok, it looks like all the early, hard work ones will pull through, but the ones put in at the 'right' time are going to do better I think. Lesson learned,   nnnh, maybe.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 14:03 »
I’m also hoping to do is sow a few later seeds of cucumbers to see if I can keep them going a bit longer now

You can strike cuke cuttings like tomato ones Snow - I did it a few years back, pinch out something growing out of an arm pit and put it in water in the shade - it will root in a week or so. Slightly quicker than seeds and if they're expensive F1's a darn sight cheaper  ;)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 14:11 by Lardman »

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 14:33 »
Thanks Lards, I didn’t know that, yes I think some were F1s

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 50 queries.