Asparagus crowns

• 3 Replies

Allotment 38a

Asparagus crowns
« on: June 11, 2021, 11:16 »
Hi
I've just been given 5 asparagus crowns which will be a new feature to my allotment however I'm new to growing them.  Can anyone offer any advice about the planting of them.  I've read about creating a trench to plant them on just below the soil surface.  My main concern is that at the moment I have a fairly full allotment so the area I would ideally use for the asparagus is currently occupied by chard.  Can I keep the crowns in storage for a while or do they need planting straight away.  Any help will be great. Thanks Liz

Hampshire Hog

Re: Asparagus crowns
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 17:17 »
I was given some crowns several years ago in January and put them squashed together into a flower bed till I planted them in the spring. When I put them initially in the ground I was uncertain they would survive but they now give me a good crop. My temptation would be to find them a temporary home till you clear the bed. Watch out would be to ensure they don’t dry out given our erratic weather. My only other comment is that 5 crowns is a relatively modest number if you want a good supply.
Good luck HH
Keep digging

Allotment 38a

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 17:48 »
Thank you very much for the reply.  It's seems like a really good idea and I'll bear in mind the advice on the number of crowns.  Cheers Liz

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 18:22 »
As there are only 5, I would put them in pots for now so that there is less disturbance when you eventually put  them in their final positions. Choose a size so there is plenty of space around the crowns.

xx
rhubarb crowns & asparagus crowns planting tips please

Started by SIR,,, PLANTALOT on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 19:38
by Minty
xx
Asparagus crowns

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 08:50
by mr Isaccs
xx
asparagus crowns

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 13:27
by JayG
xx
Asparagus Crowns

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 17:42
by Trillium

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.