Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2010, 19:33 »
I've followed suspicious tracks in my garden which led to an area where the privet (hugely overgrown) had bowed low to the ground with the weight of the snow and under there is where foxy has been taking his kills. All that remained were some brightly covered feathers.  There were tracks everywhere so he's very mobile

My brother in law was up with the larks this morning and he says he saw two leaping up and down as if fighting (or playing) with each other. This is on the main road by a school

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40 »
Something, Im guessing a fox got into my duck house last night / early this morning. I've lost 5 in total. 3 were a mess, 1 dead but no visable signs of attack (defended up my big unlucky drakes, Sorry again Cara) and 1 gone, no body  >:( :( :( It was awful and something I never want to go through again.

Thankfully my others had gone into the chicken shed last night, And thats where they will contuine to go until the weather gets warmer and attacks fewer. It is really silly to ask, Will whatever it was come back? Im guessing it will now it found a food source in my garden  :( :(

Thrift

« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2010, 09:48 »
That is such a horrible experience; I feel so sorry for you.  :(

The answer is yes, that was almost certainly a fox who will definitely be back and will probably not wait until night time. In these weather conditions they can strike at 10am.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2010, 18:01 »
Hayley, Cara told me this morning - she's really upset for you as you know. I'm afraid foxes are cunning and around everywhere, possibly worse in the town than country.

The answer is yes, that was almost certainly a fox who will definitely be back and will probably not wait until night time. In these weather conditions they can strike at 10am.

Thrift is 100% right.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2010, 18:26 »
Cara was fantastic this morning, Even offered to come over and help me sort out.

Hayley, Cara told me this morning - she's really upset for you as you know. I'm afraid foxes are cunning and around everywhere, possibly worse in the town than country.

Thrift is 100% right.

:( :(

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2010, 01:55 »
Sorry to hear about the attack, it's a horrible thing to find.
Since I saw tracks round my place, I've got all my lot going in one hut instead of four, there is just about enough room, they may not be over happy but at least they should be safer in that hut, and the ducks all in together as well, the drakes will just have to sort their pecking order out.
as I try to be about at dusk and before, and make sure everything is in the actual huts rather than runs, I hope foxy doesn't bother checking us out too often, since seeing the tracks once I haven't seen them since, hopefully it's too much bother jumping fences and walls for no result.
stoats, mink and sometimes weasels are worse, they are around all day and can be in and out or under a hut before you realise there is a problem.

Thrift

« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2010, 08:25 »

Thrift is 100% right.

I'm afraid I was right. Early yesterday afternoon there was a commotion and a missing duck. Unfortunately, because we want to allow access to the stream, it is nearly impossible to securely fence every area so there is an element of 'chance'.

Usually though, when a fox attacks there are some feathers as evidence ...... this time nothing. I wonder was it a stoat?

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44 »
If you are near a water course (or even not so near sometimes :( ) it could easily be mink. lost most of my calls to mink earlier this year. no trace. it was only when I caught one in a trap we realised what we'd got. we are probably about 200yd from the stream.
Is it possible to keep them nearer the pen at least till the weather breaks, unless there is someone around?

Thrift

« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2010, 14:18 »
Yes Pen we are keeping them in at the moment, they are having a little outing only under supervision. I think you may very well be right about mink even though there are so many foxes around. It's the lack of feathers makes me suspicious.

Today the fox count is four so far. A very handsome dog fox was patrolling our boundary at about 9.15am then I went out for a scooter ride and spotted one in a field; on the way home a little vixen was walking along the lane towards me. I stopped, we both stared at each other then she continued walking! As she passed I spoke, she stopped and surveyed me as I chatted to her then continued strolling along. She looked quite well filled out. Just saw another over the field.

Why don't they feast on rabbit, there are plenty around.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2010, 14:40 »
they do but chickens and ducks are easier to catch than rabbits  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2010, 14:43 »
they do but chickens and ducks are easier to catch than rabbits  :(

:( :(

8doubles

« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2010, 15:14 »
Foxes do not miss a chance.
I was night fishing a local beach and the angler next to me was going down the beach following the tide as it ebbed. He left his rod to go back to his base camp at the high water mark for a sandwich and his sandwiches had vanished.
When he returned to his rod the 3lb bass he had left by his rod rest had been nicked too. :)

Thrift

« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2010, 16:03 »
 :D :D :D

chickpee123

« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2010, 16:43 »
There are lots of fox's here 2
chickens are falling from the sky

Paul Plots

« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2010, 17:06 »
Fox fur farming anyone?

Calm down, dear, it was a joke in poor taste I know. :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.