Please help with a poorly hen

• 6 Replies

JohnJackson

Please help with a poorly hen
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:26 »
One of our hens is poorly. I asked the local egg farm - they simply cull off-colour birds. Despite my best efforts for the hens not to become pets, they are, and so I don't really want to wring her neck, but nor do I want £200 of vets bills. She's also a favourite as she survived quite a nasty fox-mauling just over a year ago.

As there are a number of keepers on here more experienced than I, it can't hurt to see if anyone recognises these symptoms:

Withdrawn behaviour, somewhat off her food, copious liquid diarrhoea with a whitish stain, clearly weak and walking slowly, tail starting to drop, messy around vent, laying shell-less eggs.

Additionally, over the course of the autumn she has pecked off a large area of her feathers on breast and stomach. I did wonder if she was crop-bound with feathers but can't feel anything in there. We've tried gentian violet to stop this, but to little effect. We've also changed from grit to broken oyster shell and given plain yoghourt to see if it's a calcium problem (although the other 2 are fine).

Other context: 18 months old, free-range in garden, regularly wormed, no mites/lice, Golden Star breed, 2 others appear completely healthy.

Coccidiosis? Other ideas?

Much appreciated.

orchardlady

Re: Please help with a poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:39 »
It is always hard to work out what is wrong but I would suggest that a trip to the vet for a broad spectrum antibiotic might help.  It won't cost you £200 and if you feel that that little opportunity does not help then culling may be the only answer.

kfoxey

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 21:45 »
hi there john have you checked out her vent(exit hole) this is a problem i have had with my girls and shelless eggs are a real prob, and they can lead to peritionits.  Are you able to be brave and put on a latex glove and gently inspect her internally?  I would def use anti peck spray on her pecked area, infact have you checked her for mites, lice? be interested to hear if you find anything

ferretkeeper

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 23:51 »
I don't know if it's my lack of experience or my general lack of organisation but I've made it my NY resolution to really sort my chickens out properly. I've ordered one of everything off the internet and I'm going to get a routine going, I'm aiming for prevention rather than cure. I've got to make sure they get all the treats, nutrients and supplements evenly through the week, rather than a bit haphazard like now.

I try and make sure they have porridge/weetabix for extra warmth once a week with live yoghurt to keep their immunity up, plus the poultry spice, garlic and vinegar in water, the list goes on. Now I've read about a little cod liver oil mixed in food, veg scraps boiled up - which mine didn't like much, dogs ate most of it! 

Now their run has has thawed out I need to put their toys and things back out, I ended up putting all the straw bales they usually climb over around their houses to keep them warmer. And I need to get some bark in to dry it out for them, it's turned to mud again and the grass has all died.

The winter is a tough time here in the brecons and it's my first with chickens to look after so I've been very surprised by their resilience. But they've had more than their fair share of ailments this year. I think some of it could have been prevented with better husbandry and the rest would have been less significant if they were all 100% fit and healthy, under no stresses.

As I've said before, it's a steep learning curve, lots of info to trawl through and different opinions about things make it difficult to know what's best. But I just keep reading and surfing, so I'm really grateful for the contributors on this forum.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 00:06 »
Yes my guess would be a serious case of being egg bound with possible egg yolk peritonitis which is a very serious condition and the only treatment would be a course of antibiotics and even then it may not respond. A vet visit as soon as possible but if it's EYP I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 00:15 »
One of our hens is poorly. I asked the local egg farm - they simply cull off-colour birds. Despite my best efforts for the hens not to become pets, they are, and so I don't really want to wring her neck, but nor do I want £200 of vets bills. She's also a favourite as she survived quite a nasty fox-mauling just over a year ago.

As there are a number of keepers on here more experienced than I, it can't hurt to see if anyone recognises these symptoms:

Withdrawn behaviour, somewhat off her food, copious liquid diarrhoea with a whitish stain, clearly weak and walking slowly, tail starting to drop, messy around vent, laying shell-less eggs.

Additionally, over the course of the autumn she has pecked off a large area of her feathers on breast and stomach. I did wonder if she was crop-bound with feathers but can't feel anything in there. We've tried gentian violet to stop this, but to little effect. We've also changed from grit to broken oyster shell and given plain yoghourt to see if it's a calcium problem (although the other 2 are fine).

Other context: 18 months old, free-range in garden, regularly wormed, no mites/lice, Golden Star breed, 2 others appear completely healthy.

Coccidiosis? Other ideas?

Much appreciated.

The breast feather stripping isn't an illness and she isn't eating them she's been broody.  This is typical broody behaviousr they expose their breast and under carriage so the eggs will be exposed to the hot skin.  I doubt that this is directly related to the current problem other than going broody interrrupts their normal laying cycle.  Did she spend a lot of time sitting and refusing to leave the nestbox?

HF

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 00:38 »
I don't know if it's my lack of experience or my general lack of organisation but I've made it my NY resolution to really sort my chickens out properly. I've ordered one of everything off the internet and I'm going to get a routine going, I'm aiming for prevention rather than cure. I've got to make sure they get all the treats, nutrients and supplements evenly through the week, rather than a bit haphazard like now.

I try and make sure they have porridge/weetabix for extra warmth once a week with live yoghurt to keep their immunity up, plus the poultry spice, garlic and vinegar in water, the list goes on. Now I've read about a little cod liver oil mixed in food, veg scraps boiled up - which mine didn't like much, dogs ate most of it! 

Now their run has has thawed out I need to put their toys and things back out, I ended up putting all the straw bales they usually climb over around their houses to keep them warmer. And I need to get some bark in to dry it out for them, it's turned to mud again and the grass has all died.

The winter is a tough time here in the brecons and it's my first with chickens to look after so I've been very surprised by their resilience. But they've had more than their fair share of ailments this year. I think some of it could have been prevented with better husbandry and the rest would have been less significant if they were all 100% fit and healthy, under no stresses.

As I've said before, it's a steep learning curve, lots of info to trawl through and different opinions about things make it difficult to know what's best. But I just keep reading and surfing, so I'm really grateful for the contributors on this forum.

HmmmI'd keep the nutrion really simple and basic.  Layers pellets which contain all the nutrients your birds need and a handful of mixed poultry corn only as an evening treat.  Make feed available in feeders in a covered area in their run.  Fresh water every day.  Cut out all supplements, cod liver oil etc and I wouldn't bother with ACV too though an occassional 10ml in a 4L drinker doesn't harm if you feel the need to give them something.  Cut down on household scraps to once or twice a week in the evening only.  Every time you give them supplements or treats you unbalance the nutrients that are designed into their compound feed so you're not doing them any favours by feeding supplements.  Supplements have their place but only in response to an identified deficiency of a nutrient due to some illness or absorption problem. Healthy hens don't need them and you'll only make them unhealthy by overdosing them.

Keep their house and run clean and sanitary through observing a well thought out husbandary plan.

Encourage your hens to free range and forage for their food.  Do all this and you will have healthy, active and happy chx.

HF

Do all this

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen:(

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 19:47
by mrs chook
xx
poorly hen

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 22:16
by henkeeper
xx
Help poorly hen!

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 28 queries.