feeding hubbards

• 16 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: feeding hubbards
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 22:25 »
Poulet Anglais has a very good name amongst the poultry fraternity!  He is a very caring honest man!  The only problem is, at the moment he can't keep up with all his orders, and the smaller peeps may suffer!  He told me he has no problem with htching eggs, only not enough incubators and hatchers, even though he has just bought some new ones!!  So we may start to buy hatching eggs from him once our incubator arrives!

His stock is very good quality, but yes they do tend to put weight on at a rate of knots, but that's how they ae bred.

I don't know which ones you have SMD, as they are all hubbards I think, The white JA7575'sshould get to maturity in 8-10 weeks, the brown coloryields between 10-12 weeks and the grey Mastergris (which is in short supply at the moment Simon says) between 12-16 weeks.

We've had the odd one that had walking problems, and they can be lazy little so and so's, but free ranging does help, its just that in the commercial farms most of them never see the daylight, and they just sit there  doing nothing all day!

Brian always worries about them running around, he says there won't be any meat on them!  No, I reply, there won't be much FAT on them!  running takes the fat away, not the meat!!!! lol

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: feeding hubbards
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:19 »
Thanks Grannie Annie, Wow 8-10 weeks, that's fast, (yes they are JA757).  We will let them out of the shed as soon as they are big enough, (probably 2 more days at this rate) and hopefully they will not develop any problems.
We have to get a bigger freezer fast, we have already filled one full of pork from our 1st batch of weaners.  It is delicious, tender and succulent, I am sure the chicken will be the same.  Here's to a summer of sunshine, BBQ sausage and chicken. :lol:
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

xx
Hubbards in Wales

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 11:30
by ANHBUC
xx
when to cull hubbards??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 23:46
by kimT
xx
feeding

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:15
by joyfull
xx
Feeding

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 00:19
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 29 queries.