Tomato plants

• 10 Replies

greentig3r

Tomato plants
« on: May 26, 2011, 23:35 »
I started these off 7 weeks ago and have just potted on for the 2nd time. They've been growing on the windowsill but the plan is to harden off in June and plant out on the allotment (with a few kept on the windowsill as insurance).

They are (if I've managed to attach the picture properly ::))

Clockwise from top left, Outdoor Girl, First in the Field, Red Alert and Sub Arctic Plenty.

I was wondering if anyone else has got any of those varieties going, in particular the Red Alert  and how they compare. They are all early types so I would expect them to be a bit on the small size.

I've haven't fed them yet. Would it be worth giving it a shot?

Trillium

Re: Tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 23:45 »
Normally you wouldn't feed toms until you see the first flower, but you could give it a weak solution of feed right now. Remember to harden them off before setting them in their final growing spot.

I've not grown any of the varieties mentioned, but my mother has grown the sub arctic types. They're fast, short and fruit well for their size. The flavor is okay too but not as lush as longer crop types. But in your location, they'll grow well for you.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:49 »
Sorry, no picture aattached.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32 »
Feeding:

It is often recommended that feeding begins when the first truss has set...so when you see the first lot of tiny green tomatoes appear. I usually follow this.

But - When I plant mine I often add a small handful of chicken manure pellets to the compost (for pots) and ground for any planted outside.

Right or wrong it works for me.  ;)

Red Alert - quite a nice size and shape tomato but I'm growing only cherry-sized types this year as they are usually much sweeter.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09 »
Red Alert are one of my favourites. I've always found them very easy to grow, prolific croppers and very good taste.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51 »
Another vote for Red Alert, which seem to be exceptionally fast and prolific producers (I'm  growing them again this year even though I now have a greenhouse and have 3 other varieties on the go.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

greentig3r

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:57 »
Thanks for the advice.

Do I maybe need to be a full member to attach pics? I just used the 'attach' bit at the bottom. :wacko:

My Outdoor Girl are easily a foot high, while some of the Red Alerts are only 2" tall with tiny little leaves. I can't imagine how I'd ever get a crop unless they are going to suddenly shoot up.

I did wonder if something in my pound shop peat pots contained something that was setting them back- they were pretty sticky to the touch. The ones in plastic pots looked happier but maybe that's just a moisture thing. They are supposed to be fast- might make a second sowing all in plastic.

I will have tomatoes, even if I have to buy them and stick them on with sellotape.
tom.JPG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:42 »
The picture has appeared now, but in case you need more information, here's the post on how to do it:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 23:14 »
I did wonder if something in my pound shop peat pots contained something that was setting them back- they were pretty sticky to the touch.

"Sticky" ?

I'm not sure I touch my tomato plants a great deal but I don't think they are normally sticky.  :blink:  :unsure:

Have a very close look to make sure you they don't have an infestation of greenfly. The little blighters can be very hard to see (being green ::))   and very small.

Aphids like greenfly can exude a sticky "honey dew" which ants like to collect so they look after the greenfly as if they were mini cattle. Meanwhile the greenfly graze on the plants  :ohmy:  :tongue2:

greentig3r

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15 »
Sorry, i meant the pots were sticky!

We did have aphids last year so I'll be watching for those.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 09:30 »
Outdoor Girl are cordon and Red Alert are bush types so I would not expect them to grow in an identical way.  Also, I think they need more light.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Tomato plants

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 19:32
by Dantheman
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 11:13
by davesellars
xx
When to tip tomato plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 11:44
by mumofstig
xx
tomato plants

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 10:00
by mum of 3

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 34 queries.