A new TV

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

A new TV
« on: July 13, 2023, 13:28 »
Must replace my 2010 Sony Bravia.   Apparently I need a 40" screen now.   Like the stand on the Panasonic, but other than that haven't got a clue.   I need catch-up, sub titles, a good picture.   Availability to some more programmes would be nice.    Don't want an OLED. to expensive and posh for me.
What help and advice can you offer.   Thanks guys.    Mrs Bouquet  PS:   how do I fix it to my glass cabinet  ::)  Mrs Bouquet
 would be niceprogrammes
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: A new TV
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 10:54 »
My Which? mag seems to rate LG TVs quite highly so have a look at what they offer. We just got an OLED one which is great but wasn't cheap. We went for it as my OH has Parkinson's so he's sedentary most of the day and our old TV was on its way out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 14:04 »
My Which? mag seems to rate LG TVs quite highly so have a look at what they offer. We just got an OLED one which is great but wasn't cheap. We went for it as my OH has Parkinson's so he's sedentary most of the day and our old TV was on its way out.
My computer/tv man has just recommended an LG, but I have never heard of them.  This model is not an OLED though.

MrsPea

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 15:06 »
 We've just brought mum an LG tv very easy to use  and lovely picture, I have an OLED lap top it's lovely brilliant picture once again  :)
I Love my green house

jezza

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 16:45 »
I have a Samsung  40 inch screen telly that I was given a couple of years ago from a friends family,got it going after I sent rental telly back when mum died,got you tube on it today,running internet off my phone mobile hot spot have dvd player and video recorder connected into it ,a mate had an LG television we were watching g it when the screen went black an almighty bang and flames came out the top,we were watching a cookery programme at the time so maybe that over did it    jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 09:11 »
We've just brought mum an LG tv very easy to use  and lovely picture, I have an OLED lap top it's lovely brilliant picture once again  :)
Ours is a 42" BTW. I have the picture quality set on VIVID as older eyes don't see colours as well as they used to do and am very pleased with it. There were no instructions as to how you set it up after plugging all the wires in it so our niece did it for us. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:14 by Goosegirl »

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 09:26 »
Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Sony all make comparable quality tv's.  Finding a store with a viewing room will help, 'Richer Sounds' may have one if you have a store close by.  Also, someone to help set it up for you that will adjust the picture brightness etc to suit you.
Many tv's these days are OTT unless you play computer games or watch blu-ray (fancy dvd) yet skimp on things like sound quality.  For most of us, a budget led tv with a decent sound bar will do everything that a top of the range one will. 

If you like the look of a tv, it's resolution is full HD (1080p) and it doesn't sound terrible then it will probably do you fine.  If you get a demonstration, make sure they are just using a normal TV signal.  Many expensive tv's advertised look amazing with a blu-ray movie on but bang average when you just watch Gardeners World.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 13:54 »
Interesting comments and thanks to you all.  I do already have a sound bar, but the machine that records programmes seems to be dodgy when I play programmes back.  The subtitles are not working correctly.
I have put it on the back burner for a few days now, as I get overwhelmed by it.   Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 09:08 »
If you want I can look into DVD recorders/ players from the Which? magazine as it sounds like yours may be on its way out. See what you think anyway. I've noticed on mine when I play a DVD the pic is a bit darker than when I just watch TV and don't know why but it's a lot better with our new TV than the old one.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 15:45 »
Still haven't made my mind up.   I spot one then look at the reviews and there is always a bad one  ::)
I am not sure that I understand about catch-up.  I only watch the channels 1 to 5 and some freeview.
What can I watch with catch-up  I don't plan to subscribe to anything.   Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 09:04 »
Still haven't made my mind up.   I spot one then look at the reviews and there is always a bad one  ::)
I am not sure that I understand about catch-up.  I only watch the channels 1 to 5 and some freeview.
What can I watch with catch-up  I don't plan to subscribe to anything.   Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
That's all we watch MB and don't subscribe to anything either. I think you can watch catch up for free which I believe our TV has that facility. It's there for if you're watching a series and you miss an episode then you can watch the one you missed, but we haven't bothered with it. We just wanted a reliable tv with a good picture. When I look at reviews such as Which? and choose a couple of likely ones, I then have a look on line to see what other places say about them. Of course, you always get some bad ones but you need to take a broad view of them then see which one(s) continually get good ones and just go for it.  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 14:31 »
Wise words Goosegirl, and yes any help from you via Which will be helpful.  A 40" is what I need.  Ta,  Mrs B

MrsPea

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2023, 19:18 »
 Go to currys in Worthing and they'll sort you out they are very helpfull  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 09:26 »
Ours is an LG 42" OLED42C24LA 42" Ultra HD OLED webOS Smart Platform TV but not cheap. These three are rated as Great Value and are a lot cheaper. All have pros and cons but my choice would be number 4 as it has the best review:

Pros - Flawless HD and 4K detail
Nicely balanced sound
Vivid colours
Good remote

Cons - The smart menu is cluttered with ads
The menus can be fiddly to navigate

1) LG 43NANO766QA 43-inches LCD

2) LG 43UQ91006LA 43-inches LCD

3) LG 43NANO786QA 43-inches LCD

4) LG 43UQ90006LA 43-inches LCD.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 48 queries.