Squirrels, how to get rid of them.

• 25 Replies

tinlizzy

« on: June 17, 2008, 21:36 »
We're plagued by squirrels, I can just about put up with them in the garden although it would be nice to be able to have some of the walnuts of my tree!   The real problem is squirrels coming into the house.   One came in the other morning so now I'm afraid to leave the door or windows open.   Has anyone any experience of sonic squirrel deterrents?

FCG

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 22:06 »
I'm going to state the obvious.. get a cat or a dog! That'll soon scare the * off.

I used to have a sonic squirrel deterrent, it worked for a while but after i started putting crushed walnuts out they where back. Perhaps they are particularly tasty to them.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 22:08 »
Natures little speedbumps?  Um... dogs work for me!

daz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 22:08 »
shoot em then eat em

lincspoacher

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 22:21 »
Quote from: "daz"
shoot em then eat em

Well as long as they are greys or blacks, reds are a protected species. There not reds, are they ?

tinlizzy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 23:05 »
They're the grey tree rats with bushy tails!   I'm off to order a sonic deterrent.

Johnny Norfolk

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 23:07 »
Again I would recomend a good .22 air rifle. These things are vermin and should be despatched. They do not belong in this country.
Support The Country Way of Life

lincspoacher

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 23:33 »
Quote from: "Johnny Norfolk"
Again I would recomend a good .22 air rifle. These things are vermin and should be despatched. They do not belong in this country.

An interesting peculiarity of the law, because they are classed as vermin, is that if you catch one alive, its illegal to release it!! Because its vermin!!!

peterjf

squirrels
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 23:35 »
why not get a rat trap , bait it up with chocolate , then take your captured squirrel for a long drive into the countryside , a squirrels area is about 1/2 a mile , tale him out 5 miles and he will re-settle and be a pain to someone else

peterjf

squirrels
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 23:35 »
why not get a rat trap , bait it up with chocolate , then take your captured squirrel for a long drive into the countryside , a squirrels area is about 1/2 a mile , take him out 5 miles and he will re-settle and be a pain to someone else

Big Jen

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 23:39 »
I had one trying to get in through the window last week. It was scratching at the glass with its front feet for about 5 mins even though I was standing there and my dogs were barking at it  :roll:
I took a photo on my mobile, not very good but is funny. I will see if my son knows how to get it on to the computer so I can put it on.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

jack russell

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 00:01 »
An interesting peculiarity of the law, because they are classed as vermin, is that if you catch one alive, its illegal to release it!! Because its vermin!!![/quote]

"why not get a rat trap , bait it up with chocolate , then take your captured squirrel for a long drive into the countryside , a squirrels area is about 1/2 a mile , tale him out 5 miles and he will re-settle and be a pain to someone else"

Did you not read the previous post. it is illegal to release them once caught  :wink:

They are classed as vermin and should be treated as such .22 head shot  :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

johnathome

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 00:36 »
I'm sure there was a video of a squirrel relocater somewhere, probably in the fav youtube clips :wink:  :shock:

A quick google found this, depressing i know:

Wondering how to get rid of squirrels? There is no magic spray or device that you can use to make them go away. Some people try to sell predator urine, such as coyote or fox urine to get rid of squirrels, but that doesn't work. They also try to sell ultrasonic sound emitters. These devices are worthless at eliminating squirrels. Some old wive's tales recommend the use of mothballs or ammonia-soaked rags to make them leave, but I've been to countless homes where these techniques failed - biologists know that these attempts won't work. The ONE AND ONLY WAY to take care of your problem is with trapping and removal of the animals.

If it's illegal to release them dunno what to suggest.

*edit*

Try googleing for 'Havahart Spray-Away'

pushrod

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07 »
Get a "jack russell " and it will despatch squirrels with a headshot from a .22  :wink:

Mice are my problem on the veg patch at the moment - i've put down rat poison but still my sprouts are being stripped. If i've lost more leaves tomorrow i will be putting out traps  tomorrow  :evil:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Ruby Red

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26 »
Quote from: "jack russell"
An interesting peculiarity of the law, because they are classed as vermin, is that if you catch one alive, its illegal to release it!! Because its vermin!!!

"why not get a rat trap , bait it up with chocolate , then take your captured squirrel for a long drive into the countryside , a squirrels area is about 1/2 a mile , tale him out 5 miles and he will re-settle and be a pain to someone else"

Did you not read the previous post. it is illegal to release them once caught  :wink:

They are classed as vermin and should be treated as such .22 head shot  :wink:[/quote]

Yes but who would see. And to be quite honest a lot of things are illegal and nobody seems to do a damn thing about it so Im sure they wouldnt bother with a squirrel. Badgers are classed as enemy number one but I doubt youd get many people advocating killing them.  :?
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
Squirrels

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 11:35
by SkipRat
xx
squirrels

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 19:17
by Sadgit
xx
squirrels!!!

Started by Jasper1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 22:27
by pigeonpie
xx
Pesky squirrels!

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 17:42
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 40 queries.