Help! Growing Raspberries

• 10 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Help! Growing Raspberries
« on: January 08, 2012, 18:36 »
Can any body help me? I'm new to allotment growing and for Christmas i have been brought a small 6ft by 6ft fruit cage. I want to grow raspberries and I'm thinking of having two blueberry bushes in pots, to ensure the soil is correct for them.

I have read that raspberries canes needs to be against support but I'm unsure how to do this in such a small area. Can anyone please give me some advice on how o do ths that I can understand?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Help! Growing Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 18:40 »
A post either end of the cage and run some wires at various levels between them. Tie the canes to the wires.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 18:52 »
Would I need a walk way either side of the raspberries for picking?

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 18:57 »
Would I need a walk way either side of the raspberries for picking?

Probably.
Might get a few scratches otherwise, when you reach through.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

gobs

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 19:02 »
Can any body help me? I'm new to allotment growing and for Christmas i have been brought a small 6ft by 6ft fruit cage. I want to grow raspberries and I'm thinking of having two blueberry bushes in pots, to ensure the soil is correct for them.

I have read that raspberries canes needs to be against support but I'm unsure how to do this in such a small area. Can anyone please give me some advice on how o do ths that I can understand?

I have to think, what I would put into it, it sounds so tiny. None of your nomenees as they are the ones most unscratched from birds here, of course, this will depend on your location.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 18:54 »

Hi Donnay

At 6x6ft I'd be inclined to just pop in a black currant and red currant bush to make best use of it as they can get stripped by birds but in depends on if you like red and black currants really even those will be likely to outgrow it eventually.
Faff free zone!

gobs

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 19:37 »
What's the hight of this thing, Donna?

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 16:43 »
The cage is 6ft high.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 17:28 »
The cage is 6ft high.

As I said, depending, what fruit gets stolen at your end. Most raspberries will stick out but you can trim them back. If they get stolen. The blueberiies will also nicely fit in, if they go missing where you are. These are expensive things, there is no point putting into them something that does not need it.

I could imagine one side layered with 3 shelves of strawberries, the other to an outdoor grape trained to space. For example. As there is much more interest in those around here. And in goosegogs. Those would fit nicely too.

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 19:03 »
Thanks for the advice, I have only taken over the allotment recently and this wiill be my first year growing. Im keen to grow raspberries and blue berries because I eat them all the time.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 19:09 »
Thanks for the advice, I have only taken over the allotment recently and this wiill be my first year growing. Im keen to grow raspberries and blue berries because I eat them all the time.

See, if they get stolen outdoors! Neighbours are good to check with for such info.

xx
Non-growing raspberries

Started by julieanne1811 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:47
by julieanne1811
xx
Growing raspberries

Started by Kim Taaffe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 17:27
by andtiggertoo
xx
growing raspberries

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 15:03
by JayG
xx
Growing raspberries in containers?

Started by heatherbur on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 19:06
by Trillium

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 36 queries.