screw tops safe?

• 6 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
screw tops safe?
« on: September 10, 2011, 13:00 »
Obviously with my various brews going I'm starting to think about bottling them, I've been collecting bottles. (my mother has donated a surprisingly large amount :ohmy:)

All the bottles I have are screwed topped, and although I've had a good look on this forum and others I'm more confused than ever because everyone seems to have differing opnions.

I don't want to ruin the wine at the last stage by using the wrong lids/bottles and I've read that some screw lids are not safe to use with corks because the bottle necks are weaker which sounds a bit scary.  Is it possible to re-use the screw lids or use tapered corks?

I'm not bothered about the wine looking fancy in the bottles because it will not be going any further than my kitchen.  Just wondered if anyone has used these sort of bottles and they've been OK .... and don't know if dare I even ask about plastic bottles

Is it just tradition to cork or should I be finding different bottles?

thanks
xx
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 13:16 by coco »

mike1987

• Experienced Member
Re: screw tops safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 13:49 »
ive put corks in all my screw top bottles as long as your using a lever corcker and not one of the old hammer on ones then you should be fine

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 14:34 »

I only use screwtops now.  Much easier than flogging in corks only to see bits break off and float about in the wine.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 15:09 »
thanks for the answers so looks they'll be OK to use.

Kleftiwallah are you saying that you re-use the old screw tops? does the wine keep ok with those ... or do you drink it all before you've had chance to find out ;)

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 16:37 »
LIke Tony I certainly re-use the screw tops on the screw top bottles with nary an ill effect thus far over several years.   If you are uneasy about them you can always drip a bit of candlewax over the join to ensure airtightness.

Main thing is to ensure they are really, really sterile before use, same as corks!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 19:56 »
OK I think I'll be brave and try the screw lids for this first lot and see how it keeps, OH not home until Easter so I have to save him one at least.

not sure about the candle wax though ... do i brush it on or dip the lids??
might have to give that miss as I'm sure I'll end up with wax in the wine  ::)

xx

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17 »
If your screw tops are undamaged then really the candle wax is not necessary - it is just a reassurance if you happen to be that sort of worrier.

To apply it, do the screw top up nice and tight then holding the lit candle in one hand and the bottle horizontal-ish in the other tilt the candle carefully so that a thin stream of molten wax runs from where the flame is and dribble it thinly onto the bottom edge of the screw top - fill the slight gap between the metal and the glass, and if the bottom part of the screwtop is still there, the gap to that also.

Like I say, not usually necessary but I find it a reassurance on elderberry when I am planning to lay it down for a bunch of years!

xx
Screw cap bottles

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 09:21
by David.
question
Screw top wine bottles

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 16:10
by BobE
xx
Safe Keeping.....?

Started by Paul Plots on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 05:40
by Oakdalebirds1
xx
Sterlised water - safe for the garden ?

Started by DaveJNeal on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 23:14
by DaveJNeal

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.