Screw cap bottles

• 6 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Screw cap bottles
« on: September 02, 2007, 21:23 »
Odd question but hey that's me.... I have been keeping all my wine bottles for when i finally get around to actually making my wine (so far i have collected quite a few.........slightly concerning?) my question is can i use the screw caps or shall i throw the screw caps and use a cork?

I know it is probably obvious to someone who knows but sadly i dont  :lol:

Kind regards Nicky

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Screw cap bottles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 23:44 »
Some people say you shouldn't use the screw caps, but I only save those ones now, as it saves me trying to get out somewere to buy the corks.  there isn't much around here, and they are not easy to find.

It may be because perhaps you don't get the same airtightness with the scre caps?  But my wine is never in the bottles long enough to go funny!!

Also, I've got some of those metallised covers that you put over the cap too.  Can't think what they are called as I'm a bit tired at the moment.

David.

Screw cap bottles
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:24 »
Be careful if using corks with screw top wine bottles as the neck has a slightly larger internal diameter than a bottle designed to take a cork and the cork can come sliding out as soon as it has been inserted or can push in when you push a corkscrew into it.

I find the best corks for screw top bottles (and any other type) are the silicone coated reconstituted corks like these:

I re-use screw caps for short term storage and on 250ml bottles (samples) but they look better with a shrink capsule over them.

seadart

Screw cap bottles
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 15:12 »
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

David.

Screw cap bottles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 15:20 »
I'm sure that's what we used many years ago when the London club we visited increased (doubled?) it's bar prices at midnight to seal our bottled beers we had bought just before that time.

jack russell

Screw cap bottles
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 23:46 »
Hey David

that looks like a nice operation you got there  :wink:

what the brewery name :D

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

David.

Screw cap bottles
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:21 »
Quote from: "jack russell"
what the brewery name

Something like too much hard work!

13 galls rhubarb, 24 galls plum (18 fermenting, 6 in the bucket, 6 galls of blackberry, 3 galls mixed fruits, 13 galls of apple juice pressed - 2 galls of cider and 11 galls pasteurised/frozen (& about 20 galls more to go), 20 lbs cherries, 120 lbs of blackberries & 30 lbs of pears in the freezers (and more to pick), elderberries & sloes still to pick and 30 galls of carton/bottle juice/kit wine made in the Spring.

question
Screw top wine bottles

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 16:10
by BobE
xx
screw tops safe?

Started by coco on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 08:17
by hamstergbert
xx
bottles

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 11:10
by greenun
xx
Water bottles

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 14:45
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.