Sprout info required.

• 8 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Sprout info required.
« on: May 05, 2012, 19:48 »
I set my sprouts off in a seed tray. When they got to about 1" I transferred them into individual pots. By pots, I mean vending machine cups with holes in the bottom. They are doing very well. Some are about 3" high now and are not able to remain upright. I shall have to put them into deeper pots, as the bed I have in mind for thenm is not ready yet. The question is how deep should I plant them? Up to the seed leaves or even deeper than that? I know they appreciate being planted deep, but I don't want to over egg it., as they are one of the few things that appear to be doing really well.

Goldfinger

Re: Sprout info required.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 19:51 »

I've done exactly the same thing with my cabbage, kale and sprouts!  :ohmy:

Including using vending cups!   :lol:

Guess I'll be watching too for the replies here......

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 20:16 »
Like anything else in gardening, everyone will insist their depth is the best. But the study here show's there's no loss or gain regardless of the depth you plant your seedlings. I just wouldn't put them so deep that the soil touches the lower leaves, but if the stems are sturdy enough, then I'd plant them a bit deeper than they originally grew. This would keep the plant more upright without risking any mold or rotting problems.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 21:02 »
Like anything else in gardening, everyone will insist their depth is the best. But the study here show's there's no loss or gain regardless of the depth you plant your seedlings. I just wouldn't put them so deep that the soil touches the lower leaves, but if the stems are sturdy enough, then I'd plant them a bit deeper than they originally grew. This would keep the plant more upright without risking any mold or rotting problems.

The trouble is, if I don't plant up to or beyond the first leaves, the plants will just lay flat.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 22:01 »
Assume the real leaves don't want to be in touch with the soil - the seed leaves (the tiddley first ones), will usually fade away, but the next lot are the real thing.

Suggest plant up to the seed leaves, (or stems if bigger plants), and worry no more.

Tomatoes, for instance, like to have their lower stems in the soil, well up to the few stems just before the first truss even, but just pay attention to how they all progress!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:40 »
But surely it cant be good to have the plants laying flat on the soil?  It's either plant em deeper or put some sort of stake in, which seems overkill for a seedling.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:44 by A Reyt Tayty »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54 »
extracted from the Report on cabbage planting link Trillium gave above
it is therefore better to transplant deeply in drier field and superficially in irrigated field conditions.
  :)

I always transplant deeply, and specially with sprouts I think it helps to prevent windrock later in the year.

They usually soon straighten themselves up and grow ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54 »
Whereabouts do you have these plants?

From what you're saying, if they're only 3" high and can't support themselves, they sound very leggy.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 20:25 »
Whereabouts do you have these plants?

From what you're saying, if they're only 3" high and can't support themselves, they sound very leggy.

They have been in an unheated greenhouse, so shouldn't be getting drawn by the light. They were fine in the seed tray, but since I've potted them up, they've really shot up. I've moved them outside this very afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 20:26 by A Reyt Tayty »

xx
info required

Started by ganno on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 19:54
by Aidy
xx
Importing seeds - info required..

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 00:19
by Trillium
xx
sprout or not a sprout?

Started by R6robbo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:40
by viettaclark
xx
Sprout plants looking sad

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 20:45
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.