BLIGHT!!!

• 12 Replies

Limey153

BLIGHT!!!
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:14 »
Hi there folks,

I have noticed that my potatos have blight! Lots of black spots appearing over the leaves. About a third of my potatos are second earlies which are nearly ready anyway, so I could just lift them but I was wondering what I should do about my maincrop. I'm thinking that maybe I should cut my losses, pull em all out and quickly use the space for something else. But if I do that, what is there that I am not too late to plant?

Any suggestions welcome...

:(

Ropster

Re: BLIGHT!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:36 »
you could spray them with Diathane or Bordeaux mixture should give a bit of protection

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:39 »
If it is blight you need to take off the affected leaves and burn them.  Your mains will probably have it too, but check carefully..no point pulling them until you have to.

But Id wait and make sure its blight first...has anyone else got it?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41 »
you could spray them with Diathane or Bordeaux mixture should give a bit of protection

That's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

If it is blight it's too late, those two are used as preventative measures.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43 »
Do you have a photo?

A lot of things get mistaken for blight & as far as the British Potato Council are concerned, the only confirmed outbreaks are in Cornwall.

Blight Incidents

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:46 »
Spray with Epsom salts (2oz per gallon) just to make sure it's not magnesium deficiency.

Limey153

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07 »
I'll try and get some photos when I'm down there later. One consolation is that I'm actually not on an allotment plot, my grandmother has a large garden and my veg is in her garden. It is a very isolated rural area so at least if it is blight then I won't be spreading it on to everyone else.

JWK

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:46 »
Have a good look under the leaves Limey, you might see a white mould growing on the infected areas or a yellowish tinge on the outside of the dark spots. If it is Late Blight then spraying the rest of your uninfected main crop with Dithane or Bordeaux mixture will provide some control. You will have to keep spraying every two weeks once you start, and keep a close eye on them.
John

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:57 »
I had a panic thinking my potatoes had blight as well (due to the fact I haven't a clue what I'm doing as its my first year and its probably the only potato disease I've heard of anyway!) :D  Anyway, thanks to help from folks on here I deduced it was far more likely to be a magnesium deficiency - blight makes the leaves a lot more manky (scientific expression there) than just a few little black dots - is the black speckling mainly around the edge of the leaves - like this?
pot disease 2.jpg
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Limey153

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:44 »
Ah....
Lady Lottie, that picture does look very similar to what I have (my first year as well, hence I'm a bit clueless).  Maybe I might be OK.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53 »
Dont panic uness you have to, it burns too much energy  :D

Lady Lottie

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54 »
Dont panic uness you have to, it burns too much energy  :D

:lol: :lol: I'm ALL for saving energy...

Lady Lottie

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55 »
Ah....
Lady Lottie, that picture does look very similar to what I have (my first year as well, hence I'm a bit clueless).  Maybe I might be OK.

I bought a box of Magnesium from my local garden centre and have applied some so we will see what happens - I can try and remember to let you know if you like. :)

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tom Blight

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 16:50
by crh75
xx
Blight ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:19
by NASH
xx
Blight! so what?

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 14:25
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 34 queries.