Bolted chard.

• 11 Replies

Lardman

Bolted chard.
« on: July 18, 2011, 19:33 »
Up and out ? Cut the flower stalk off ?  Cut the lot down to ground level ? Carry on and ignore it ? I've got plenty of seeds left.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bolted chard.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 19:34 »
The leaves tend to get quite bitter once the plant has bolted, so I usually start again at that point,and consign the rest to the compost  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 20:18 »
last year I just cut the flowers off and let it carry on...............I didn't notice any change in taste :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 20:30 »
Its been a little disappointing this year. I don't remember it bolting last year and there hasn't been enough on the plant to take a cut since it started to flower, which made me pose the question.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 21:09 »
I used some off a plant, that had bolted, last week. It was in a stir-fry with many other ingredients but i thought it tasted bitter.

I'd defo remove the flower stem as leaf production will almost stop then try cooking some and lets us know what you think

Also plant some more, they will carry you into the winter and imo the youngest leaves are the most tender and tasty

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 21:10 »
My chard has bolted as well and gone all stringy.  I've ripped it out and have just sown some more seeds for an autumn supply.

My perpetual spinich has held up though and is producing loads of leaves.  I'm going to do both in future as the spinich is a good fall back  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 23:14 »
I've never had chard bolt before. It usually stays in over the winter and gives me a spring crop before bolting.
However the rainbow chard is bolting and I'll try cutting right back. Luckily the green chard and spinach are ok.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 00:23 »
I've never had chard bolt before. It usually stays in over the winter and gives me a spring crop before bolting.
However the rainbow chard is bolting and I'll try cutting right back. Luckily the green chard and spinach are ok.

Swiss Chard (thick white stem) usually lasts well. Reliable through the winter into spring from a late sowing and mid summer planting out.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Robster

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48 »
I have only had chard bolt in its second year in the spring.  So its a new one on me.  What variety was it?  I grew the silver stem jobby last year and it was fine.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:56 »
It seems that different varieties and different conditions mean that there has been a range of expereineces with chard  :D

I think the simple answer to the original question is to try out the taste and if it is Ok, and there are enough leaves, carry on eating it and if not, grub it up and sow some more  :D :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:17 »
It seems that different varieties and different conditions mean that there has been a range of expereineces with chard  :D

I think the simple answer to the original question is to try out the taste and if it is Ok, and there are enough leaves, carry on eating it and if not, grub it up and sow some more  :D :D

I agree - never experienced a bitter taste but only pick/use it when it looks tender.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 14:18 »

I agree. Some of our plants have bolted and some haven't.
Also put a second lot in last week.

xx
Swiss chard bolted

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:36
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Bolted...what now?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 20:28
by Trikidiki
xx
New Leeks from bolted Old Ones ?

Started by theothermarg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 17:12
by theothermarg
xx
Leeks bolted

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 15:41
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 35 queries.