Thank you Val!

• 10 Replies

veggirl

• Experienced Member
Thank you Val!
« on: September 22, 2009, 15:00 »
I've just put up six jars of Blackberry and Apple jam and two jars of Mirabel plum jam from the recipe book - very successful and so easy. Now, what else can I cook?

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: Thank you Val!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 17:29 »
I think you'll find quite a lot more ideas in there :D :D :D :D.
Val
Recipes Galore!

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 20:21 »
Vals green tom chutney.   Flamin' delicious!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 21:59 »
No green tomatoes left, but I was given half a carrier of red ones, so Ripe Tomato chutney tomorrow, I think.  :tongue2:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 22:44 »
Ive decided that Val HAS to make lots of her chunky marmalade next year so I can I pretty please place a special order next year.  Please?  :D Absolute heaven with lurpack on warm toast and a cup of tea.

You know I need the energy for a while :lol: And I dont grow fruit (or much veg come to that!)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 20:56 »
Made 6 jars of green tomato chutney............thought the colour was a bit strange so added a few drops of the gravy colouring liquid.....now looks as good as it tastes :D

I wouldn't have worried just for me, but my SIL is a funny beggar and won't eat stuff if it 'looks funny'  :tongue2:

plum crumble

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:41 »
Definitely a bit thank you! Have so far made Val's hot aubergine chutney and her plum jam. Absolutely delicious, and practically free - all produce grown by moi, and I have a colleague at work who part owns a jam and chutney making business. It is cheaper for them to chuck out their used jars, than pay someone to clean and de-label each one. Scandalous really, but at least they go the recylcing route. However, I have intercepted a fair few jars free of charge. (and have received more recipe tips!)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

tode

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 13:47 »
Made somme raspberry jam the other day (rather reluctantly, since it seemed a "waste" of fresh raspberries  :tongue2: ).
But it really is delicious   :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

Big problem now, though:  do we eat them fresh, or make more jam ? ?  ? ?

Yes, I know the answer: plant more rasps  :D

suziequeue

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 20:01 »
Definitely a bit thank you! Have so far made Val's hot aubergine chutney and her plum jam. Absolutely delicious........

Sorry - picked up on this thread from ages ago when I did a search for aubergine chutney.

I am just in the process of making Val's aubergine chutney. The recipe says to slice, salt, rinse and drain the aubergines but doesn't say anything about cutting them up into smaller chunks.

Is this necessary? The slices seem awfully big and the amount of liquid awfully small for so much veg.....  :unsure: :unsure:

At the moment it's all simmering on the hob.

Have I mucked it up???

plum crumble

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:06 »
you haven't mucked up at all  :D. it'll  mush down after all that cooking - you won't have any lumps of aubergine at all. enjoy, it's lovely. I must say though, I was shocked to see I first commented on it 4 years ago!!!!

suziequeue

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 15:36 »
In the end I added another 350ml of vinegar and 175g sugar and carried on.

I think I would have just added water if I hadn't read Val's intro about keeping up the sugar and acid content in order to maintain the preservative effect. So that was really valuable.

Anyway - it eventually mulched down into a lovely oozy chutney but you can still identify bits of onion, aubergine peel and the like.

I'm very happy with it  :D

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.