chicken feed!

• 9 Replies

Penny Finn

chicken feed!
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:05 »
Sorry, I know I keep asking advice!  Having overcome the thin shelled egg problem (I think) I have now bought layers pellets instead of the mash as I have one chicken who is such a messy eater that most of the mash ended up on the ground and then they wouldn't eat it (they are very spoiled) They don't appear to be eating the pellets at all.  They do come out for part of the day to forage but I haven't been getting the usual amount of eggs and I am wondering if they are getting enough to eat.  I think I heard somewhere that the pellets could be mushed up but that wouldn't solve the 'messy eater' thing. Would be grateful for advice - again.
Gardening Granny

mumsy

chicken feed!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:17 »
Hi & don't worry about the q's thats what we are all here for :wink:
I would introduce the pellets slowly, adding them to the mash, then increase each day, til no mash, hope this helps......btw they will eat them when they are hungry :wink:

FCG

chicken feed!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:41 »
* them! Chickens are fussy when it comes to their staple foods (even though they will rip your arm off for a mealworm). They just are not used to pellets yet. I'll offer an alternative route to mumsy's that I've read here works... just leave the pellets and let them get on with it. They'll soon figure out they are their food when bellies start to rumble. I would also advise leaving the feeder in exactly the same place until they start eating the pellets (hopefully you leave it full and let them eat ad-lib?).

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
chicken feed!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:01 »
both are good replies either would work just depends on your chooks really i  have had some just go straight over to pellets and others that have taken their time. also it depends on how strong you are......... its just like making a little kid wait till after a meal for pudding really shut your ears and dont listen to the  *** we'll eat pellets if you give us treat/mash too **** :wink:
good luck

upert

• Experienced Member
chicken feed!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:24 »
incidentally, how do chickens cope with unshelled sunflower seeds?

FCG

chicken feed!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32 »
Chickens love them. I give them to mine all the time, they just peck it open and eat the inside or occasionally the whole thing. However since giving shelled sunflower seeds (sunflower hearts) they do seem to turn their noses up at them until all of those have gone.

upert

• Experienced Member
chicken feed!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 11:02 »
will a goose eat chicken feed? pellets, corn and greens is what i give mine. i know they like grass but that's a thing of the past in my run.

Vember

chicken feed!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:06 »
Geese really really need grass, they have corn at night but their main staple is grass :)

poultrygeist

chicken feed!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:24 »
Does goose feed substitute for grass ?

Rob

Vember

chicken feed!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:43 »
in my opinion and from what i've seeen no, they need grass.

Don't quite know why but a goose without grass aint a happy goose and Crumb did  :oops:  go with out  :oops:  for a while 'cause I was too scared to let her out on her own  :oops:  

In all my books it states wheat is a good basic food Barley is used for fattening up. wheat & pellets can be used if on a restricted range :?
But you get less nutritional problems if they are on grass
:)

thumbdown
chicken feed

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 15:50
by phil-c
xx
chicken feed

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 22:46
by richyrich7
xx
chicken feed

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 08:18
by browntrouty
xx
Chicken feed

Started by VP on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 20:44
by grinling

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 39 queries.