sweet onions

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

sweet onions
« on: February 03, 2019, 16:10 »
we have several varieties of onions both seed and sets to grow but me and onions are should we say not compatible for want of a better word

but i do like the odd onion or two from time to time be it pickled spring or fryed so Im looking for sweet ionion or something not to strong that mite overcome the dash to the little boys room ofter eating onions i bought some yellow sweet Spanish onion seed to grow but i've  never grew this variety before so im unsure if it will be compatable to my tummy if someone has grew this onion or knows an onion i could grow and eat that's not going to be a laxative it would be most appreciated   :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet onions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:22 »
Lots of people, including me, have trouble digesting certain foods, and over the years I've learned which ones I have to be careful with (I wouldn't say any of them cause a 'dash to the loo', but that doesn't mean there aren't 'consequences' one would rather avoid. ::))

IBS is a very generalised term due to the varying nature of different people's intolerances, but the FODMAP approach might provide some clues as to why some foods might not agree with you.

Unfortunately onions and other alliums are often at or near the the top of the FODMAPS 'avoid' list, which doesn't necessarily mean you should never eat them, just not in great quantities or every day.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:27 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 13:21 »
I eat onions at lunch or at teatime; if I'm eating later, or eating out in the evening, then I avoid them if I possibly can. The same rules apply to very spicy foods  :ohmy:
I used to love a Friday night curry takeaway, but nowadays, it's not worth the discomfort that follows  ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 20:23 »
Do leeks cause you the same problems?  They can often be used in place of onions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Saw something sweet today

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:53
by mumofstig
xx
Sweet or Savoury?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 18:14
by wighty
xx
Sweet corn skewers.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2023, 10:08
by Goosegirl
xx
Nearly sweet corned and tomatoed out...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2018, 18:26
by Growster...

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 40 queries.