what flowers to grow????

• 11 Replies

binner

• Experienced Member
what flowers to grow????
« on: September 27, 2010, 21:21 »
evening, think this is my first post in this section, well about flowers anyway.
i have no idea about them but thought it would be nice to grow some along the front of the lotty to cover the tin roof sheets up i used to keep the rabbits out. i have no idea about them so, what could i grow that don't take much or any looking after apart from a bit of water, grow back each year, grow no more than 3ft high and that i could take a few home for the other half? not much to ask i know :lol:
first year grower

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: what flowers to grow????
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15 »
Wallflowers and snapdragons both spring to mind straight away. Hm, let me have another think too......

:)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:17 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 15:40 »
To come back every year you will need perennials of some sort. Depending on your border space, you could have Wallflowers (as previously said) for spring, but they are biennials so you will need to sow in summer and replant them in autumn - lovely colours and perfume too; some roses for summer; "Bishop's Children" dahlias - lovely purple foliage and flower in glowing colours in late summer - autumn (lift the tubers after flowering and replant in spring); for winter - Escallonia comes to mind as it is evergreen so you still have some cover and it flowers in summer too - nice in a vase with other things, and maybe a small conifer for cutting sprigs off for Crimbo decs. A permanent evergreen is Euonymus - various colours of variegated leaves and will grow upright with support. You can trim it and the Escallonia as you wish both outward and upward.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 16:08 »
Goosegirl, I was waiting for someone to point out that Wallflowers aren't perennial, but they do have rather a habit of coming back, at least a few times. If not, as you say they can be resewn. :)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 21:35 »
thanks for that, i think perennials will be the best bet as i only rearly get time to go down on a weekend, or to water seedlings at sowing time and i just know i will forget to dig em up and re plant

diggerjoe

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 14:11 »
I took advantge of the £ shops this year and put in  - peacock gladioli bulbs,  dahlias, and  anythng else that was cheap then I let the borage and marogolds self seed each year. This year I've just added 50 daffs to the flower edges ready for spring. All look afte themselves I ignored them all let them do what they wanted I can recommned the peacock Gladdies they were stunning.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 16:47 »
Forgot about bulbs - doh! Those mini-daffs are lovely and don't have so much sprawling foliage after flowering. Grape hyacinths, must try those Peacock gladdies - sound great! Little autumn cyclamen are sweet too.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 21:46 »
thanks, well that gives me a small mixture to start on

TheSpartacat

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 23:46 »
Hi,

I definitely recommend looking at a few annuals too... they are incredibly LOW maintainance, and if you grow ones that actually benefit your veg growing, by attracting hoverflies, bees, parasitic wasps etc.

Here's some of the ones I grow, and they all produce seed for the following year (some of them actually self seed where they are, so you don't have to do anything)

Calendula/Pot Marigold - will readily self seed- and can be sown in Autumn- they flower well into the AUtumn too. (And the flowers are edible)

Marigolds

Cosmos Daisies- make lovely cut flowers, and also self seed, or you can save seed for the following year.

Poppies- (also self seed!!)

Cornflowers

Geraniums (perennials)

Nasturtiums- they give great ground cover, and will give you plenty of seed. (Both leaves, flowers and seeds (pickled) are tasty in salads!) and they distract blackfly away from your veg!

German Chamomile- beautiful big daisy flowers, and you can use to make tea- attracts lots of beneficial insects.

Lupins! Look very stately and they fix nitrogen in the soil!!

Echinacea- stunning flowers- herbal uses

Sweet Alyssum, gives great ground cover, self seeds, and attracts hoverflies and bees!!!

And if you need climbers that will cover your tin sheeting, then how about sweet peas? (How tall is your sheeting?)

:-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 23:52 by TheSpartacat »

Junie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:06 »
Probably worth looking at those flowers which benefit the veg patch through companion planting and I agree that many annuals do come back if let to go to seed  -
What about looking for flowers for the bees - I am sure you would be very popular if you could encourage more bees to the plot - try to go for some flowers for each month - or maybe herbs such as borage, lavender - both of which bees love - Lavender does take a little care, but you do get the benefit of the gorgeous smell everytime you brush against it.

The Bees need as much help as possible - and nothing is nicer than watching them collecting their pollen from your plants and providing you with lots of future fruit and veg at the same time. :)

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:59 »
I planted Sweet Peas next to my Runner Beans and I had no problems with green fly and great smelling flowers indoors.  Win Win :D :D

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 23:20 »
thanks for the help, i did try to get more bees etc by planting a wild mix and english meadow mix onto an area of rubbish i covered over with some soil but i think only 2 sorts acctualy grew! i shall look over the names here i have been given and see what the other half likes,
the tin sheets are 3ft high but i could fasten some bean/pea netting too it to allow plants to climb if needed

xx
New gardener - what flowers should I grow??

Started by MagicLady on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 23:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Flowers to grow in an allotmet ??

Started by Spanky855 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 19:08
by Spanky855
xx
Best plants/flowers to grow to feed birds in winter?

Started by Rich on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 21:07
by blackisgreen
xx
flowers with veg

Started by kelzy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 15:48
by WG.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.