what hedge is suitable to grow next to a fence??

• 26 Replies

garddwr

Re: what hedge is suitable to grow next to a fence??
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 22:16 »
It is NEVER leylandii planting time  :ohmy:

Other conifers, I think so - so long as it's not waterlogged or frozen soil

oh have you had a dispute or something with them Yorkie ? I would trim them and keep them under control.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 22:19 »
Nothing personal to do with them at all, but they are the cause of more neighbour disputes than any other plant / tree.

They grow so fast, and need trimming twice a year, that it is so easy for them to become out of control, particularly for any subsequent landowners who may not appreciate the need to keep on top of them.  Not saying anyone here would do that, but it's a generally appreciated hazard!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

garddwr

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 22:28 »
Nothing personal to do with them at all, but they are the cause of more neighbour disputes than any other plant / tree.

They grow so fast, and need trimming twice a year, that it is so easy for them to become out of control, particularly for any subsequent landowners who may not appreciate the need to keep on top of them.  Not saying anyone here would do that, but it's a generally appreciated hazard!

Well I don't think they will upset anyone as I don't have any neighbours that near to me and I would like something fast growing and I really don't mind trimming them the current area is rather ugly.

I was looking at theese as they are pot grown so I guess I could plant them as soon as they arrive and they are much cheaper than the garden centres.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.standard&category_id=472&producttype_id=48006

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 22:37 »
No neighbours, no problems  :D

J Parkers are said to be fairly reputable, don't know how that price compares.  Might be worth checking out whether bare rooted are much cheaper for similar size trees?

garddwr

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 22:57 »
No neighbours, no problems  :D

J Parkers are said to be fairly reputable, don't know how that price compares.  Might be worth checking out whether bare rooted are much cheaper for similar size trees?

Well if it's cheaper :) I suppose I should look in the local garden centres ? I doubt I will find any online. I was in homebase the other day and I'm sure they were reduced but god knows how much I wasn't paying attention !

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17 »
It is NEVER leylandii planting time  :ohmy:

Other conifers, I think so - so long as it's not waterlogged or frozen soil

oh have you had a dispute or something with them Yorkie ? I would trim them and keep them under control.

We planted one Leylandii tree to which we gave a home when it was heading from a friend's garden to the skip. We have plenty space, no neighbours, it would be a potential winbreak etc.... The poor thing seems to be rapidly going downhill with windburn and we're not sure if it will recover in the Spring.....  :unsure:  :lol:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GilbertJessop

• Habitat Aid's Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 20:18 »
What about a nice classy native hedge ? Something that would tolerate even deep shade would be Hornbeam, Holly if you can wait... They would have better structure than something like Choisya and wouldn't need support or tying back to the fence...

FCG

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 22:33 »
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned goosberry bushes or blackthorn yet. Both are equally capable of surviving and defending your plot from intruders and both will give you a crop! Goosberrys and sloes of course.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:26 »
Are you still allowed to put prickly hedges (potentially) near members of the public nowadays?  ::)  :dry:

FCG

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31 »
S'long as it's not overhanging a public area or is planted on 'adopted' land... do whatever the heck you like!

GilbertJessop

• Habitat Aid's Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 19:58 »
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned goosberry bushes or blackthorn yet. Both are equally capable of surviving and defending your plot from intruders and both will give you a crop! Goosberrys and sloes of course.

Blackthorn's a bit slow, mebee, if speed is important... I assume the soil is nothing tricky, by the way?

Christine

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55 »
What about planting Russian Vine otherwise known as Mile a Minute. That should clamber over the fence and hide it.

xx
climber to grow through dead hedge

Started by mumof3 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 17:27
by mumof3
xx
a new hedge !!!!!

Started by wiskerman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:20
by mrs bouquet
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01
xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.