What do you want from a TV / Radio Gardening Programme ?

• 138 Replies

The Singing Gardener

Me
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 21:19 »
My name is Sean and yes I am the Executive Producer for Interfusion Films. I feel that the current crop of gardening programmes about the past few years have been poor. I would like to produce a new gardening programme that looks at the allotment/garden from January 1 until the end of December.

I have been speaking with all the leading commissioning editor (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five) for the past few years but I'm getting feedback that the traditional gardening programme is dead and not what audiences want.

My view is that a gardening programme should be about the allotment/garden and not about the flashy camera work and to focus on the plants not the presenters. Also, to give the view enough time to look at the plant and write down its name.

I still feel there is a need for a programme such as this. The other strand would be how to garden on the cheap. You don't have to spend hundred on a bench or a piece of trellis (as one gardening show did last Summer, "this piece of trellis only cost £130 so we bought five"!!!!)

I was starting to belive the commissioning editor that the traditional gardening programme was dead but after reading your comments it does look like I was taking the programme down the correct avenue.

The programme would be split into two sections vegetables/herbs/fruit and flowers spending 15 minutes on each section.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 21:19 »
Well if this was his first time in front of the camera then I think he's got potential.... he seemed very relaxed and whilst a few words were over used (a bit of scripting or practice would put that right) he came across as if he knew what he was talking about.

I think that the suggestion of following the development of an allotment was fantastic and I'd Sky+ every episode!

The Singing Gardener

Idea
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 21:26 »
The idea regarding the allotment and its progress is one that we have already started filming.

Filming commenced on January 1 and our aim is to visit the allotment every first of the month until the end of the year. The rules we are sticking by are that only one person can work the plot and no help can be taken from other allotment holders except by them giving advice. The daily hands on must only be done by the allotment holder. We also aim to show the disasters as well as the positive aspect.

In February we are having a greenhouse delivered and we are already having to deal with local allotment laws regarding its size and whether its 2ft from the fence or not.

Our aim is to show a realistic allotment facing realistic problems. But it would be nice to jump ahead eight months to see what it would look like. We may end up with no vegetables and just a plot full of slugs but at least it will be the true story.

We also aim to go and visit other allotments around the country during July for an additional programme called ME AND MY ALLOTMENT. And I'll be asking for contributors closer to the time.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Re: Researcher
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "The Singing Gardener"
You should become one of our researchers babe.

do i get to play with the aussie gardener? :wink:

The Singing Gardener

Presenter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 21:29 »
He's gone down under at the moment. I'll let you know when he comes back up.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
How did you find the website babe?

see i can use my brain sometimes..... i just choose not to do so on a regular basis.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 21:31 »
Is Sean you?
Cheese makes everything better.

gobs

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 21:32 »
I think you should try Splodger if she can talk to the camera, mate, she knows her stuff and has a brilliant sense of humour and enthusiasm.

You got to edit the language of course and limit the becks for filming. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

The Singing Gardener

allotment
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 21:33 »
My name is Sean and yes I am the Executive Producer for Interfusion Films. I feel that the current crop of gardening programmes about the past few years have been poor. I would like to produce a new gardening programme that looks at the allotment/garden from January 1 until the end of December.

I have been speaking with all the leading commissioning editor (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five) for the past few years but I'm getting feedback that the traditional gardening programme is dead and not what audiences want.

My view is that a gardening programme should be about the allotment/garden and not about the flashy camera work and to focus on the plants not the presenters. Also, to give the view enough time to look at the plant and write down its name.

I still feel there is a need for a programme such as this. The other strand would be how to garden on the cheap. You don't have to spend hundred on a bench or a piece of trellis (as one gardening show did last Summer, "this piece of trellis only cost £130 so we bought five"!!!!)

I was starting to belive the commissioning editor that the traditional gardening programme was dead but after reading your comments it does look like I was taking the programme down the correct avenue.

The programme would be split into two sections vegetables/herbs/fruit and flowers spending 15 minutes on each section.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Me
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 21:35 »
I feel that the current crop of gardening programmes about the past few years have been poor. I would like to produce a new gardening programme that looks at the allotment/garden from January 1 until the end of December.

Yay!  it's about time - I had given up hope of ever seeing a good gardening programme.  The one that Simon Mayonnaise did last year with all of the allotment holders was good, but concentrated more on the people and not enough on the plants they were growing or the problems they encountered.

The problem with people who think they know what people want is that they don't ask the people what they want - they just assume they already know!

Totally agree, how long would the show be?  if it's just half an hour then I'd probably not watch beyond the veggie bit - there's enough programmes on that do flowers and not enough for veggies.... could it please be biased more towards fruit and veg but not too much on the flowers?

Also,  would it be possible to do regular features on self sufficient living things such as keeping chooks, bees, making homemade wine etc?  This would deffinately set your programme apart from the run-of-the-mill type programmes...

fingers crossed!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 21:35 »
what about chickens....elvis has brushed his hair ready for his screenshot. :wink:

The Singing Gardener

Chickens
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 21:39 »
I think there has been enough coverage of Chickens in the past few weeks.

living things such as keeping chooks, bees, making homemade wine etc?

This is a very good idea. We are already in talks with a bee organisation about having them featured and we are looking into whether we are allowed bees on the allotment plot we have. I do like the idea of including topics such as homemade wine as well. Also there would be a greenhouse section.

splodger

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 21:41 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I think you should try Splodger if she can talk to the camera, mate, she knows her stuff and has a brilliant sense of humour and enthusiasm.

You got to edit the language of course and limit the becks for filming. :wink:

what a horrible thought gobs - i'm not a tv type - i am far too shy for that - i can't even bear to put a proper photo of me on here - just a few dressie up ones  :lol:

besides i am far too ugly for tv - my face was made for radio  :wink: and then there's the voice - very deep - very plummy - and far too sarcastic  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 21:45 »
He does Radio too, you know. But anyhow, I'd rather fancy you as the next gardening celeb than many else. :wink:

The Singing Gardener

Time
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 21:46 »
Another area that is of interest in the time and date of a possible broadcast. I've always felt that 8:30pm on a Friday is fine until you get into March. I used to watch Gardeners' World every week but was too busy in the garden from March until October to watch it.

Someone else mentioned about winter gardening. Yes, I do feel this is an area that has been overlooked. Maybe not on a weekly basis but should change to a monthly basis from November until February then back to weekly.

What time? Day? Would you like to see such a programme on?

I tend to go for Sunday morning around 10am.

xx
Gardening and the soil

Started by James1 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 17:14
by Yorkie
xx
General Gardening

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2019, 18:17
by rowlandwells
xx
general gardening

Started by wombling2006 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 08:51
by wombling2006
xx
gardening with the moon

Started by catllar on General Gardening

47 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 23:07
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 34 queries.