HELP humidity in an incubator

• 5 Replies

cristal666

HELP humidity in an incubator
« on: October 13, 2010, 17:10 »
hi i have some hatching egg ready to go in the incubator
my problem is that i have the temp right but no matter how much water i add to it the humidity will not rise above 29%

i have have tried everything i can think of so need some new thought about what i can do
i have a still air polystyrene incubator and a digital temp humidity gauge as well as as one of the disc ones that goes inside.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: HELP humidity in an incubator
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 18:54 »
Check with another thermometer to check if its actually getting hot enough to raise the humidity.... check the hygrometer (if its digital) hasnt got chick fluff in the sensor (mine did)  if it has a good blow should sort it out.....

Test the hygrometer by putting it somewhere else that is humid like above a gently steaming kettle... see if it changes...

In what manor is the water sitting..... its not the amount of water you put in its the surface area that has the effect.....

Try putting a sponge or j cloth etc on the surface of the water with part hanging out.... that is guaranteed to work....

But remember that for the incubation part you dont need it to be very high..... and during pipping it will raise due to the wet chicks......

Good luck :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Junie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 20:25 »
I had the same problem although my humidity was not that low.  I rolled up a piece of kitchen roll, posted it through one of the holes in the incubator so it was about 1 inch from the bottom then put the other end in a glass of water sat on a few books so that the kitchen roll acted like a wick, it kept the humidity high enough at pretty constant.
But as previously stated I would check the equipment first. we do have quite dry weather here in late spring and summer and not much moisture around which is why I think my very simple incubator needed the extra help.

cristal666

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 23:04 »
thank you for your replies
have tried both things but have only made it go up by two percent
will keep trying

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 23:39 »
thank you for your replies
have tried both things but have only made it go up by two percent
will keep trying

Hi crystal666,

Almost certainly your hygrometer is junk.  29% humidity is much too low unless you have a dehumidifier in operation.  Normal humidity in a coolish bedroom is around 40% without any extra help.  Humidity is notoriously difficult to measure and can only be done accurately with expensive special instruments.  The cheap digital ones commonly sold are grossly incaccurate.  If your incubator came with instructions on how to set it up for the required humidity follow these instructions.  In anycase it's not so critical during early hatch and being too humid is worse than being too dry.  Three days before hatch (end of day 18) you should raise the humidity to around 60 - 70% by increasing the surface area of the evapourator.  If you have a reservioir of water fold up a piece of kitchen roll into a strip of quadrupal thickness.  Dip one end in the reservoir which should be topped up and lay the other end flat so it acts as a wick as an earlier post said,  stop any turning of the eggs and don't disturb by lifting the lid,  When half the eggs have hatched lift the lid and transfer all the hatchlings to a brooder,  Quickly close the lid so as not to lose too much humidity and wait for one more day or until all pipped eggs have hatched before raising the lid again for the new hatchlings.  High humidity is more critical at hatch to prevent the chicks drying to the egg shell so they can't get out.

The biggest error is over tinkering with the eggs, temperature and humidity.  If in doubt leave alone.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

cristal666

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:04 »
i have added a wick and the humidity is now reading 32%
i tested the hydrometer with a boiling kettle and the % changed i also have the disc  hydrometer inside and i am relying on that one as that is higher

a new incubator is on its way so fingers crossed that will be better
thank you for all your help
:)

xx
Humidity in incubator

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 19:25
by Markw
xx
day 19 - incubator humidity

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 13:17
by kegs
xx
humidity in incubator

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 12:34
by kegs
xx
humidity

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 17:56
by bedifferent

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 31 queries.