New garden plot

• 9 Replies

khelashi

New garden plot
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:48 »
We are putting down a  :closedeyes:silage cover in an unused small paddock, plan to dig it over in spring to start a garden. Now, we have 2 polytunnels that were already here when we moved and only very little outside so far. We never started from scratch. Any recommendations? What's the best method of digging? By hand makes me feel very daunted, it's a big area, would a rotavator help, or is there another machine to hire? Also, how do you best prevent grass seeds from growing up again? Thank you!  :blink: :blink:
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. :-)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: New garden plot
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 17:48 »
Hi,

best to divide area up in small sections and work on each section each day or week. dig it over with fork and spade and remove any weeds you can. can add manure on top and leave until spring to rot down and then use a rotivator to break and mix it up.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 18:09 »
We are putting down a  :closedeyes: silage cover in an unused small paddock,

For those who aren't familiar... large usually fairly thin, usually black, plastic sheet.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 20:55 »
A lot depends on the type of soil you have and if you want to go down the organic route . I personaly would not go down the silage cover route let the soil breath . Take of the top layer of turf and stack it face to face . then cover the growing area with cardboard with any manure on top (hopefully the birds will take out any viable seeds) then in the spring dig it all in I would use a digging hoe for this . If you are on heavy clay then compost the manure separatly and rough dig as much as you can over winter to get the frosts to break the soil down and kill any bugs wire worms or slugs. after a year or so the stacked turfs can be put back into the growing area 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 21:30 »
Using black plastic does not suffocate the soil -- I cover empty beds for the winter, often after putting down a compost layer, and it helps stop the ground from getting waterlogged and nutrients from washing deep down in wet winters.

It is not sealed airtight around the edges but held down with old bricks and planks

I know there is a school of thought that this is wrong, but it werks fer me  ;) :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 18:08 »
hi The use of black covers is also used to warm the soil for early planting etc however as this is a paddock I expect the aim was to kill off the weeds just as they will go dorment for the winter And again I think you have to work the soil you have if its a nice light loam then yes protect it if its a heavy clay it will never make a good early bed but a good frost into it will break it down

khelashi

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 23:43 »
Hmmm, so you think it's better to dig and let it freeze over? I live in Ireland thou, not much frost..if using plastic, will it help kill off weeds and make digging in spring easier? Also. I heard builders plastic is better, and biodegradable too.

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03 »
I also live in Ireland and I rough dug my plot i.e. turned it over in the Autumn of the first year, then covered it with heavy cardboard and farmyard manure and left it like that for the winter.  In the spring I dug the manure/cardboard into the soil and then rotivated it.  Worked well as I was ready to start planting earlier than if I had to do all the digging in the Spring.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 19:13 »
If it is an unused paddock, I expect it has a lot of rough grass.

I agree with the proposal to cover it - it will weaken the grass and hopefully make it easier to dig out in the spring.

I'd avoid rotavating if the roots of the grass are like piano wire - that is couch grass and will multiply a lot.  If the roots are fibrous, and there are no other weeds, you could indeed rotavate but you will still have to dig the grass out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 19:24 »
Or just stick raised or lasagne beds on top.

xx
My island plot in the garden...

Started by Rizo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 00:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
new back garden plot.

Started by fish on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 18:11
by sion01
xx
From plot to tiny garden

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 16:55
by tangojulie
xx
Garden Plot Size

Started by Divinity on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 17:50
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 35 queries.