getting parsnips to grow

• 12 Replies

karlooben

getting parsnips to grow
« on: January 12, 2009, 19:51 »
hello guys , this is my first time posting in this section as i normally live in hen house or chicken chat but  i thought it was about time i came here  :D .

i have had my allotments coming up to 4 years now and my first year i grew the most massive parsnips but since then i havent been able to get any to grow anybody got any tips please.

i've tried the toilet roll with the seed inside filled with compost , or a hole in the ground filled with compost but these ways havent worked for me.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

jannie

• Experienced Member
getting parsnips to grow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 20:02 »
last year i done both ,but i put 3-5 seeds in each hole in the ground and they all came up so had to thin them out other people at the lottie didn't have one come up so just luck sometimes, although i think the freshness of the seeds matter and in the past i bought them cheap and had no joy so last year went to my local garden centre  :) jan

karlooben

getting parsnips to grow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 20:07 »
i think i tried old seeds and new seeds and had nothing ,i must admit hardly anyone had parsnips last year except 2 ppl and one of those dont even touch her plot and as far as i know they went to waste  :( .

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
getting parsnips to grow
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 20:07 »
As jannie said, make sure the seed are fresh, always buy new stock.

Don't be in a rush to do it, it's better a bit late when the ground is warmer than too soon.

I sow a pinch of 6 or so seed every 8" and thin to the strongest and never gone wrong.

Famous last words!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

karlooben

getting parsnips to grow
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 20:15 »
i may just try that DD. i do like parsnips but so do my horses  :lol: and they didnt get none at Christmas time  :(

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Re: getting parsnips to grow
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 19:58 »
I used fresh seed last year. I started them off in loo rolls but they all went orange-mouldy and a bit smelly so I threw them out and started some more in plastic module trays.

When these got big enough I planted them into fresh compost from the garden centre in an old incinerator up at the plottie. They grew lots of lovely green on top but the snips were miniscule and some looked like little tiny corkscrews    ??? where did I go wrong ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 20:05 »
Some get on OK, but I'm not a big believer in transplanting root crops. Straight in the ground, no disturbance.

Here's one I lifted since my original post on how I sow them (click on it).........

parsnip (640 x 1269).jpg

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 20:48 »
Definately fresh seed, and I start mine off at home being careful not to disturb the roots when planting.  make sure they are weeded well, and pest free (as much as possible) of course, and the soil is not stony. No manure in the previous year, but they like a well fed soil. Mine werent anywhere near to DDs size last year but ok for me (if a bit forked) and we are still eating them now.  I think they just need babying at first and good prep
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 22:26 »
For what its worth, I tried sowing Parsnips in Paper pots last March, and thought they would get a good early start. As the soil warmed, I transplanted them (Pots 'n all) into my beds. At that same time I sowed some seed directly into the rows.
The directly planted seed overtook those I had sowed earlier in the paper pots!! These grew into monsters.... (Not as big as DD's
Later on (May/June)I threw the rest of the seed under the Munty bean frame, and had some brilliant snips with our Christmas dinner
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 22:45 by Bombers »
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:21 »
I also used the Paper pots method with new seeds (I had used old and they never germinated) and had a really good germination rate and some quite nice results.

I did rip the bottom of the pot off before planting them into a deeply dig hole, I dug the last of them from the plot last weekend  :lol: 8)

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37 »
I make a furrow and dribble water along it before sowing. Use the whole packet so they are sown thickly. Cover with dry soil. Do not add any more water. They are slow to emerge and I usually thinly sow some radish along the row which come up quickly and show me where the row is. Thin out to about 4 inches along the row.

milkman

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39 »
I get best results when I sow direct into the soil using fresh seed - Tender & True - on my nephew's birthday - which is 7th March.  I start looking to see if they have germinated after a month.

I don't thin them very much because I prefer smaller parsnips to Digger Dave's.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46 »
They're not all that size! :)

xx
Parsnips Starting To Grow

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 17:56
by JayG
xx
Attempting to grow parsnips (yet again).

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 15:24
by Aidy
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 38 queries.