Organic seaweed growth stimulant.

• 11 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Organic seaweed growth stimulant.
« on: April 07, 2014, 20:54 »
I've just been given a part bottle of this stuff. I know you don't actually feed young tommy seedlings, but would it be ok to use a bit of this stuff in a very dilute form?

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Organic seaweed growth stimulant.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:02 »
Hi taty Most gardeners feed toms liquid /comfrey/seaweed feed when the fisrt truss has set to  start fruiting thats the way i usually do it ;) Darren
diggity dig dig

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15 »
Thanks Darren.
I usually only start "proper" feeding after the first truss has set. I just wondered if this seaweed extract stuff would just give small seedlings a little bit of a leg up without actually feeding.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:35 »
If you're using ordinary multi-purpose compost to grow your seedlings in, the rule of thumb is that the nutrients will last for up to 6 weeks. As I've mentioned here on previous occasions, I'm not sure that can always be relied upon these days, and I for one will be mixing in a little Growmore to the mix at the final planting out stage.

As far as I'm concerned a 'growth stimulant' is a posh name for a liquid fertiliser - if you think your plants look a bit pale and weak despite having enough warmth and light, I'd definitely go for an occasional well-diluted feed (but nowhere near as often as you would feed after the fruit start to set.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08 »
Cheers Jay.
I always add bits and bobs to my final planting out mix. Usually some FB&B and my secret weapon, powdered eggshell. We know that blossom end rot is caused by poor watering regime  causing lack of calcium. Well eggshells are calcium aren't they? Add a dessertspoon of finely powdered eggshell to each pot then I thought. Last year I had 10 plants on the go in the GH. Only 2 fruits had BER. Both on San Marzano. None on Moneymaker, Tigrella, or G Delight.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:39 »
Thanks Darren.
I usually only start "proper" feeding after the first truss has set. I just wondered if this seaweed extract stuff would just give small seedlings a little bit of a leg up without actually feeding.

What you do not want is a lot of leafy growth before any flowers, which additional feeding is likely to produce.

Seaweed extract? What nutrients does it contain? The label on the bottle will, I bet, go on about trace elements and easy availability, but with a smokescreen about any chemical analysis. Trials invariably show very little. Sales are made on muck and magic. It is a natural organic product so it must be good.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 20:06 by Salmo »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15 »
I use Maxicrop as a dilute feed but only after potting on and just before I plant out. Very young seedlings don't need much in the way of feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15 »
Use it at about 10ml  per 5 litre for seeds and young seedlings going up to 20ml as they get older. I've been using it for a few years and ii certainly makes a difference leaves darker green and about 4 or 5 inches taller at the 4' mark. me and a mate did experiments with different varieties and these results were very consistent.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43 »
Thanks Darren.
There is some stuff called root it first feed for soaking seeds in and feeding seedlings.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 13:18 »
I was trying to find info about this very question recently and came across this: http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Seaweed%20extracts.pdf

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 15:24 »
I wonder how they know it's organic!!!!!
Bish

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 19:31 »

Seaweed extract? What nutrients does it contain? The label on the bottle will, I bet, go on about trace elements and easy availability, but with a smokescreen about any chemical analysis. Trials invariably show very little. Sales are made on muck and magic. It is a natural organic product so it must be good.
The bottle gives no indication of what is in it, which seems strange. I think it's maxicrop. All it gives is dilution rates for different applications. Can be used as a seed soak before planting seeds, so it shouldn't hurt to give established seedlings a little slurp.

xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
New growth

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:16
by sloegin

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 40 queries.