6 New Hens

• 5 Replies

New Hampshire lover

6 New Hens
« on: March 20, 2009, 16:39 »
I'm getting six more hens tomorrow to add to my flock of two. The coop is finished but the run hasn't been extended to reach the coop. Has anyone got any tips on how to mix these two flocks. Also will they lay in the coop that my 2 hens are in now inside the coop of the established run.
Thanks..

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: 6 New Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 19:24 »
They should really be in an adjacent run for a few weeks before mixing, in my opinion.
cathangirl

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 23:21 »
You need to keep the new flock separate for a good week or so before you introduce them to your older girls. Both flocks need to be able to see each other but not get into fighting etc.

This way they will get to know each other and when you do put them together. I always introduce my new girls to each other about 30mins before bed that way things are calm and do the same again the next night but a longer period. They will soon get to know each other and the pecking order established.

Good luck.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 23:46 »
Hi
We have just got two hens to add to our three.  We put them together and they were nasty to one and absolutely evil to the other.  It was heartbreaking to watch as she was so scared and they were just vile.  We now have them in the same coup at night and they seem to be ok but during the day we seperate the pen in two and the new ones are one side & the oldies are the other. The new ones have the end without the coup as they are not laying (so dont' 'need' the coup and it means they can't be hidden during the day as they only have a shelter rather than a house to hard in.
They both stand right in front of the divide and seem to be ok but when they come togteher they are still very mean to Jessie.
I am told it could take up to six weeks! 
We are going to let them run around in the garden together over the weekend in a hope that they will start to mix.
Good luck, let me know how you get on and we can compare notes!
Claire x
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:53 »
Letting them all run together in the garden is good they will get to know each other better and if they need to get away from each other then there is space to do so.

They will all settle in together they just need a little time.

Good luck.

alotment shed

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 22:53 »
they have to have a scrap to gether its to find out where they stand in pecking order they will be fine together the only problems you have is when you get cockralls togther they some times will fight to the death to be top of pecking order

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 38 queries.