Bantams, POL and sexing

• 3 Replies

Rubellite

Bantams, POL and sexing
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:53 »
Hi all
I'm still researching bantams and collecting equipment together (no, the 4 in the field, marvellous as they are, just aren't enough :(. Got a big field and will probably fill it - lol.
Questions are; how old are they before you can tell which sex they are? I am looking at Wyandottes in particular, possibly Barnies.
A breeder will sell a trio, for instance, at what age?
Would you be able to buy them younger and if so would you not know what you are getting gender wise?
(Do breeders of hybrid large fowl wait until near POL until they are sold as POL because they can't always tell what sex they are?)
I realise that cocks are a problem to dispose of and I don't want to get caught out by an unscrupulous so and so (I am usually quite gullible :() so am trying to gen up on the things I should be aware of.
Thank you  :)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Bantams, POL and sexing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 13:16 »
Unless you have been very well educated and have a good eye you can tell from the vent and in some breeds the wing feathers.  Unless the breed is sex linked only really easy way is for them to go "cockadoole do"  or lay an egg.  It is not uncommon for a hen to change sex.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 13:23 »
Unless you have been very well educated and have a good eye you can tell from the vent and in some breeds the wing feathers.  Unless the breed is sex linked only really easy way is for them to go "cockadoole do"  or lay an egg.  It is not uncommon for a hen to change sex.

So that is why you buy at POL then.
How can a hen change sex? You're not tallking literally here, are you? :ohmy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 13:29 »
The hybrid chicks we get Ruby are either colour sexed like the Babcocks or feather sexed like the Amberlinks.  We are guaranteed no cockerals in our day old Babcocks because the hen chicks are browny coloured and the cockerals are yellow at hatching, so that one is easy.  The Amberlinks are feather sexed, and we do occasionally get a couple of cockerals in a flock of say 250 chicks, but they are easily spotted as from 4-6 weeks ish, their combs start to get bigger and redder.  Luckily we have only had to eat one of them, the others we've been asked for cockerals by people and have given them away!!!

And Roughlee's right, they can change sex, but some of them only do it temporarily if the cockerel that was with them is taken away, they take on the male role, redder bigger coms and can crow, then if another cockerel is introduced to the flock they revert to hens.  True honestly!!

xx
Sexing Bantams

Started by thelittlers on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:43
by Bantymad
xx
Sexing Polish Bantams

Started by charlystyles on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 19:07
by AL Hathaway
xx
sexing

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:00
by Tony H
xx
sexing

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:48
by tstainesmoore

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 36 queries.