In the cold weather(Winter?) Do you allow your chickens out of there coop?

• 20 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Hey,

A few people iv spoken to say they keep there chickens locked up during the cold spells, (e.g. today, its freezing!) so..

In the cold weather(Winter?) Do you allow your chickens out of there coop? if so, how long for? if you don't, how come? It would be interesting to see other peoples opinions,

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

compostqueen

I would say that everyone here would agree that your hens need letting out in all weathers. They need to do what chickens do  :)  They might not like walking on deep snow though  :)  I know mine would stop dead once they realised they were on unfamiliar ground and I had to pick them up and put them back in their run

They need fresh air and exercise. They don't mind being wet but they're not keen on being cold and wet. They need somewhere to shelter if they want to. I used to like mine to be as dry as possible before bed time to keep their beds dry and comfortable

Craigx

• Experienced Member
i agree but i was curious, some people local to me, if it rains or is cold, they're hens stay in the coop, i let mine out all day and locked in at night, during rain snow, cold, warm, everything lol

Obviously if people do keep there's closed up, then i guess that's up to them, but i am curious about what other people do.. hence the thread :)

Craig

Springlands

Like CQ ours are allowed to go out in all weathers - if it is really wet or snowy they choose to stay in the coop. But if it is dry but cold they are quite content to wander around their run.

bainsk8

My girls are out in all weathers. I built a sandpit with a canopy over and they like to all huddle up together and watch the rain from underneath. My philosophy is, its not good to all be cooped up!
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
In the past I had 15 hens and cockerels who roosted in the trees and laurels outside in all weathers sun. sleet, frost and snow. I would often find them in the morning with frost on their backs but they were fine. Mine now have a large fully enclosed run (as my pup attacked some) but are now free ranging every afternoon and 2 of them have gone back to sleeping in the laurels.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Let them be chickens Craig.  There are people on here who have kept chooks for 40+ yeas, they know what they are talking about!

Keeping them too cooped up and too warm will do them more harm than good, honest!  I sometimes wish I had a nice permanent duvet like our chickens!!   :lol: :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Ours used to love being out in the cold and even rain providingthere was shelter available as mentioned already, but the first time they saw snow was a different matter. After they got over the initial shock, they were rather sulky until it went away. ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Springlands

Ours used to love being out in the cold and even rain providingthere was shelter available as mentioned already, but the first time they saw snow was a different matter. After they got over the initial shock, they were rather sulky until it went away. ::)

When we had the bad snow a couple of years ago our hens refused to come out for over a week - we had to feed and water them in the coop.  :lol: :lol:  Maybe they were more sensible than us.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Let them be chickens Craig.  There are people on here who have kept chooks for 40+ yeas, they know what they are talking about!

Keeping them too cooped up and too warm will do them more harm than good, honest!  I sometimes wish I had a nice permanent duvet like our chickens!!   :lol: :lol:

PLEASE read my post, i have said mine are out, no matter the weather, My post is only curiosity of what others do, and if im honest i was also curious if i was doing the wrong thing by letting them out all day!

Craig

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
No need to shout I did read your post.

I never said that YOU kept yours in, just saying let them be chickens.  There are a lot of people out there who don't know how to look after their animals properly, not only chickens, but their dogs and cats etc.

So don't jump down people's throats.  You asked for opinions and I gave you mine.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
The way it read to me was like you thought i kept mine in, while theres bad weather, if that isnt the case, i apologise

Craig
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 14:16 by Craigx »

8doubles

Birds in general can handle the cold if they have enough fuel (food) to burn to keep them warm . Even the British tinies like Blue tits and Wrens get through our winters if they can find enough food.

The hens will go back to the coop of their own accord if they want too.

compostqueen

:)  Mine went out onto the snow for the first time but were shocked and stood there like statues waiting to be rescued. They wouldn't move. Their feet were probably frozen to the spot, so I picked them up and put them back in the run  :lol:

They know what they like don't they  :)

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
The door is opened every monrning as usual at ours so they can decide themselves.  With it being so cold during the winter it would be cruel to leave them locked up for months.  If cold was an issue we'd have to give them a barn or something sheltered but spacious to roam around in.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

xx
Our chickens and coop

Started by irish rose on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 21:08
by irish rose
xx
Chickens first night out in their new coop/run

Started by nuzuki on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 11:51
by nuzuki
xx
I thought that Chickens dont lay in the Winter

Started by bastonjock on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 19:22
by Hayley'sHens
xx
New coop New coop !!!! Pics added

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:31
by Evansent

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 35 queries.