gooseberry sawfly

• 10 Replies

NeilH

gooseberry sawfly
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:39 »
I'm new to the forum so hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.  The last couple of years I've had real problems with gooseberry sawfly and the worst affected bush last year didn't crop as well this year.  I'm sure I read you could prune out the centre of the bush to discourage them but looking through all my gardening books I cannot find this.  Does anyone know if this works?  I'm also going to try the biological control next year as well.  I had some left after treating my carrots and sprayed a bit on but it was after the worst of the attack...

Neil

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:43 by Aunt Sally »

8doubles

Re: gooseberry sawfly
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:03 »
I think pruning the centre of the bush out to make it an open cup shape is more to do with makiing it easy to pick fruit without too much loss of blood ! :)

In the past two years my gooseberry plants in pots have been ravaged by sawfly the caterpillars go into the soil to pupate so spraying the plant before the new hatch start to feed on the leaves seems favourite.

The large gooseberry bush in the garden has been untouched by sawfly for 4 years with no spraying !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

NeilH

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19 »
Thanks I've never had any problem until two years ago the caterpillars were on a shrub the year before that.  I don't know what the shrub is but I assume it related to gooseberries?  I'm going to have to do something next year.  Thanks for the link I buy most of my seeds etc from them.  The same control different nematode is very effective against carrot root fly.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29 »
I think the cup shape is also meant to reduce humidity within the bush and make it less pleasant for the larvae

I also cover all round the base of my goosegogs with weed fabric, make it harder for any larvae to pupate in the soil and easier to weed!

sav

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 17:31 »

Didn't that Ruth? woman on Victorian/Edwardian Farm make a stew of elderberry leaves and shook the resultant liquid over her gooseberries to deter the sawfly?

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

savbo

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15 »

Didn't that Ruth? woman on Victorian/Edwardian Farm make a stew of elderberry leaves and shook the resultant liquid over her gooseberries to deter the sawfly?

Cheers,   Tony.

oh no! not home made pesticides!
Surely you mean this as a general plant tonic?

sav

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44 »
I've had problems with this pest for a few years, however this year I put rhubarb leaves around the base of the bushes and the problem was greatly reduced, might be a wives tale or just plain good luck ::)
Paul

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 13:21 »
I had sawfly in two of my bushes for a couple of years, then the next year they disappeared and haven't been back since. I suspect it's just down to birds eating the larvae.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 15:42 »
My new (& expensive) goosegogs were partially denuded over the course of just a few days and I can only think it must have been sawfly.  They had already fruited (3 berries, making it one per bush, but I did say they were new  ::)) so I took the drastic action of spraying them with Bayer bug killer for fruit and veg as I would have lost them otherwise. Seems to have done the trick and they are recovering nicely.  :)
Will get nematodes next year, thanks for the link DD!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 15:44 by Auntiemogs »
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 18:36 »
This year I seem to have sawfly in my blackcurrants but none in the gooseberry, strange as the currents and gooseberry's are next to each other touching????? maybe it not saw fly

xx
Gooseberry sawfly

Started by julieanne1811 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 18:48
by julieanne1811
xx
Gooseberry sawfly? Or is it?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 10:21
by Salmo
xx
gooseberry sawfly

Started by philmoore6 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 21:52
by sunshineband
xx
Gooseberry sawfly

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:03
by chrisjsmith

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 36 queries.