Potatoes never grew and rotted

• 3 Replies

montygti

Potatoes never grew and rotted
« on: June 11, 2012, 19:00 »
My first lot of potatoes have rotted due to the allotment actually flooding during that very wet spell a month or so ago. Is it to late to plant any other potatos. Can anyone reccomend a good variety.
Thanks

Trillium

Re: Potatoes never grew and rotted
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 22:25 »
If the soil has dried out enough, yes, you could still plant a late variety. I'm not familiar with UK varieties but a retail shop would know what you could plant. I wouldn't even bother to chit them, just plant asap.

plot103

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 22:30 »
I think you might have trouble finding any seed potatoes for sale at the moment though the garden centres normally will have some "second crop" ones in  a few weeks.

OpenSourceAgriculture

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 22:39 »
As Bob Flowerdew says, if you plant potatoes late, then plant an early variety.  Early varieties have a shorter time to maturity.   

I haven't seen any seed potatoes on sale anywhere any more.   So find a bag of Reduced to Clear potatoes from your supermarket, if you can, preferably one that is an organic variety.  The organic varieties are more resistant to diseases  (scab, blight, blackleg, you name it, potatoes encounter every disease going)., even though they might not have the cooking qualities of the King Edwards and the Maris Pipers, blah, blah.   Also, they will not have sprayed the potatoes with any sprouting inhibitor chemicals, so they will sprout more quickly.   

Yes, you can introduce lots of potato diseases by planting supermarket potatoes instead of seed potatoes, but if the ground you are using is an allotment, or near one, I doubt you will introduce any disease that isn't already there.
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

xx
potatoes have rotted

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 21:30
by AmandaLouise
xx
well rotted poultry manure or well rotted horse manure?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 10:26
by rachelsco
xx
You grew that!

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 19:04
by BumbleJo
xx
I grew stuff! Yay!

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:48
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 35 queries.