plastic lineing coop

• 32 Replies

joe2369

plastic lineing coop
« on: March 04, 2012, 23:18 »
Hi to all , me and lad just built are 1st coop and lined it , roof , walls with thick plastic stappled with gun and going to use rubber matting (convayer belt) rubber to cover floor  , The coop is made of mostly of pallets 1.4 m x 1 m x 1.2m  plus nesting boxes on side also plastic lined will this help against red mite??  I will add all we do to this string as we are total newbys are 3 hybreds are coming in 2 weeks , run in woods is about 7m x7m but hope to let them wander out but were close to a road (any advise ) how high for 7x7 run or total enclose ?( run is on slope so should keep from bogging) shadey under trees but cut a few to give sunlight. Will take photo's and post here.   Looking forward to eggs 8)

viettaclark

Re: plastic lineing coop
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 00:02 »
What about ventilation? :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:10 »
I think you have provided a nice hiding place for the redmites to sleep during the day. They are so tiny that they will be able to get behind the plastic very easily.
Also as viettaclarke has said - what have you done about ventilation - this is one of the most important things in coop building.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:14 »
I can see why you thought the plastic lining was a good idea but unfortunately it is great for red mite and also there is likely to be condensation which will drip onto the chooks. However, I imagine it is easily remedied. The red mite can also find a home under the rubber matting.

Chooks do like to sunbathe but will enjoy the protection of the trees, they are essentially jungle birds. :)

Do keep asking it is the best way for us all to get the advice we need :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34 »
I have some cheap rubber car mats, with a layer of mixed straw & woodshavings on top. When I do a thorough clean out, I can just lift them out and give them a quick scrub to clean and then spray the wooden floor with poultry shield and put them back in when dry.

I don't think it is a bad idea to have something at the bottom to help keep the wood dry but it should be removeable to stop any nasties setting up home!
Helen

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23 »
I have plastic coops and use two grow bag trays in each which has a layer of bedding in to help poop picking. My coops are rather big (Solway Recyling Arks) and these fit in just great but for smaller coops perhaps you could use something like a cat litter tray under the perches to catch the poop  :)

joe2369

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 22:20 »
well vented 1.5 inch drill bit here and there and big window at front meshed in chicken wire  please look at pics  that posted soonn, will cut out plastic and paint / paint / paint all tin emusions in celler may also look at an hour with a few tubes of clear sealent in gaps here and there , but goto ask !!! no wooden shed redmite proof

joe2369

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 22:25 »
I have also bought starter kit for the 3 rangers from ebay: what do you think for value ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200680463318?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59 »
Joe do you have a horse feed supplier near you - most of these also supply poultry products and will be cheaper than this. the feeder and drinker look ok. You can also buy a sack of equine bedding, a 20kg sack of layers and mixed corn from them. Buy flubenvet rather than verm x for worming as flubenvet has been proven to work on all types of worms unlike verm-x. mixed grit and oyster shell along with diatom can be purchased in bigger but more economical quantities.
As for being redmite free then no coop whether it is wood or plastic can claim to always be redmite free but the advantage of plasic coops is that they can easily be cleaned and no hiding place for the little blighters.

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 17:38 »
Joe....have you got the weld mesh chicken wire?
I know from experience that Mr Fox can bite through/bash in ordinary chicken wire....... :(

kegs

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 19:18 »
Be careful with the sealant too because if the chickens peck this out and eat it it could cause all sorts of damage to them.

joe2369

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 21:12 »
 ;)   I just thought no drafts so fit plastic inside  :(  will remove
fox getting through chicken wire :(   will double up :(

what about keeping them warm ???

when plastic removed cleaning !! jet spray out on big clean then just treat with coop guard ??

joe2369

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 21:20 »
now green via fence guard and felt roof
chick.JPG

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 21:27 »
Sorry Joe2369, it is possible for a fox to chew through two layers of chicken wire  :(.  My aunt lost all her quails that way.

Cleaning needs poultry shield and a disinfectant such as Ficam W or Stalosan F.  Then you need to make up a diatom slurry (diatomaceous earth powder mixed with a little poultry shield or mild washing up liquid into a paste) and paint it on the inside, especially in all the cracks and crevices, and not forgetting the ends of perches.  This helps to keep pesky redmite at bay.

I think you are showing real enterprise and I hope it all works out for you.  Good Luck!  Please let us know how you get on.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joe2369

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 21:27 »
see nesting boxes
chick 2.JPG

xx
Plastic coop

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 10:17
by Vecten
xx
Plastic shed for a coop?

Started by jools68 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 13:24
by grinling
xx
Plastic chicken coop comparisons...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 13:25
by Hen 1-0 Fox
clip
Can I make a plastic outdoor storage box into a coop?

Started by Borge Reroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2021, 21:14
by grinling

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 36 queries.