Turkey...how do you cook your's?

• 14 Replies

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
Turkey...how do you cook your's?
« on: December 19, 2011, 19:42 »
So many variants on how to cook the Turkey. Im not bad at the old Turkey, I use lots of flavoured butter under the skin of the turkey and use vegetables as a trivet for the turkey to sit on whilst roasting. My only problem is always the gravy, I never seem to get it just right so Im open to suggestions on how you do the gravy.  :blink:
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Turkey...how do you cook your's?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 19:47 »
Cheat  :blink:  I usually do a mix of turkey juices minus the fat, some gravy granules, a splash of red wine and boiling water

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 19:49 »
I put about an inch of water in the tray around the veggies for the trivet.

That forms the basis for the gravy (top up if it dries up completely).

I also boil up the giblets (not the liver kidneys) to make a stock.

Then I strain out the veggies, add as much stock as needed, season well and thicken with flour (Mix the flour with some cold water first to make a paste before adding it slowly, stirring in between)

Werks fer me

PS You can add a splash of white wine too  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 20:57 »
wot they did ^^^^^  :lol:
I find it easier to thicken with cornflour, though, cos ordinary flour can go lumpy  :(

Plottered

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 16:59 »
never tried using the giblets for stock but will do this year...do people cover the bird with foil and take it off for the last part to brown or leave it off altogether?

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 17:05 »
I always cook mine breast side down for most of the cooking time, uncovering it for the last 15 mins or so, then I turn it over so it's breast side up another 15 mins to brown off the skin.

I find cooking it upside down helps keep it moist.

When it comes to turkey I think how good it turns out is largely down to the quality of the bird you start with, a cheap frozen one from tosco is never going to be as good as a nice fresh free range one.

I also find the larger the bird the better they cook, we have a 16-18lb bird this year, and theres only 7 of us for dinner.  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 18:50 »
I always cover the breast with foil, especially as we do not add bacon over the top (don't eat it in our house) and then uncover it for the last 20 minutes (like others do)

I push butter in under the skin, with whole sage leaves, bay leaves and lemon slices to make a good design. Looks brilliant when it comes out of the oven  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 19:15 »
I do my gravy in a similar way to Sunny.  Veg under the bird.  Strain off some of the fat, not all as fat IS flavour.  Deglaze the veg in the pan over the hob with white wine, strain off the veg, return juices to the pan and add good chicken stock, home made is best but a cube is ok too.  Thicken with beurre manie (equal quantities of flour and butter mashed together) stirred in with a whisk.  Heat until boiling and simmer for a couple of minutes to cook the flour out.
Cheese makes everything better.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 19:44 »
IIIn a roasting bag if I can find one big enough! Keeps all of the lovely juices for gravy.  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 22:13 »
  Roasted Turkey  

Ingredients - 1 Turkey, 1 to 2lbs of sausage meat, 1½ lbs veal forcemeat, 3 slices of bacon, 1 pint of good gravy, bread sauce, fat for basting.

Method – Prepare & truss the turkey.  Fill the crop with sausage meat and put the veal forcemeat into the body of the bird,  Skewer the bacon over the breast, baste well with hot fat,  and roast in front of a clear fire or moderate oven for  1¾  to 2¼ hours, according to age and size of the bird.  Baste frequently and 20minutes before serving remove the bacon to allow the breast to brown.  Remove the trussing strings, serve on a hot dish and send the gravy and bread sauce to table in sauce boats.

Time - From 1¾ - 2 ¼ Hours.  Average cost  - 10s to 16s.  Seasonable from September to February.

Mrs Beaton 1836 -1863
Truth through science.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50 »
I do much the same as the others. Chopped onions, carrots and celery in the pan bottom, giblets to the sides, turkey on rack in centre, and I add about an inch of water.

Cover the turkey for most of the cooking, remove for last half hour or so to brown.

Strain drippings into a pot (add water if necessary). Mix up some gravy browner with cornstarch, add when stock is boiling, cook about 5 min until thickened to choice.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 14:51 »
I make a good stock the day before with giblets and wings (all roasted up together) – Jamie Oliver did this on his recent Christmas show.  Though I don’t finish the gravy off like he did.  Just roast wings, veg etc off for an hour, then put in a stock pot and boil for a few more!  Skim the fat and save for the next day – makes amazing base gravy.

Turkey I take the legs and other trimming off to leave the crown.

The drum sticks i save for another day

Thighs get de-boned (relatively simple with a Sharpe knife)

Stuffed with sausage meat and chestnuts, rolled tightly in foil then slow roasted in a warm oven.

Crown gets butter basted and cooked in a hot oven to crisp up the skin – doesn’t take much more then an hour – maybe an hour and a half depending on the size of the crown.

Throw the stock from the day before into the drippings from the crown with a glass of white wine and thicken with a little gravy browner or corn flour if you like it gloopy like it do!

End up with very succulent breast meat, lovely juicy leg meat and thick gloopy gravy.
I hate signatures but love irony

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 15:18 »
We like our turkey to taste of turkey and so no butter, bacon or other stuff to spoil it.  Like Runwell Steve, I cook breast down first, give it 10 mins on high heat to seal in juices, then on lowish heat, that way all the juices run through the breast, then once juices are running clear, turn turkey over for last 15 minutes on higher heat to brown and crisp top.

Different ovens give out different heat, but for example, start off on 200C for 10 mins, then down to about 160C until ready to turn, then back up to 180ish for last bit.

Never had dry turkey since cooking this way, unless I've over cooked because mind been on other things.  ;)

If you stuff, remember to stuff neck end and not bottom.  If I put anything in the bottom cavity, its usually an onion.  Oh and yes of course, giblet gravy

Plottered

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 20:00 »
oK decided to cook it upside down and giblet gravy it is...had a roast chicken for tea tonight so thats going in a stockpot with some veg to be cooked down then in the fridge till Sunday.......should be lovely

thanks for all the suggestions.....brilliant.

Plottered

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 13:29 »
stock smells better than a roast dinner...think i might turn it into soup  :blink:

xx
Apples To cook or not to cook before freezing

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 21:10
by sclarke624
xx
Raspberry Sorbet - to cook or not to cook?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 12:38
by WendysLot
xx
How do you cook spinach?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 21:52
by barley
xx
How I like to cook Garlic

Started by Amilo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 13:01
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 33 queries.