Uchiki Kuri

• 5 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Uchiki Kuri
« on: October 29, 2011, 19:56 »
Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to the easiest way to break into an Uchiki Kuri, preferably without snapping my best knife?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Uchiki Kuri
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 20:10 »
I have a large bladed chopping knife and push the point in and then push the blade down to the board. But I don't think they're any harder to cut then a swede  :unsure:

It's the big iron-bark squash that I take a small axe to  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 23:25 »
I use a cleaver. Get the pumpkin on a thick chopping board and position the blade on the pumkin and gently bang it with your hand. I use the thickness of a cloth to protect my hand as they can be tough so a teatowel on top of the blade edge helps  :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 00:50 »
My squash must be better mannered because I just use a D-handled, long bladed knife to cut mine. I do need to use a towel at the bottom so the squash doesn't slip around on me.

I just cut mine in half, scoop the seeds out, then bake on a cooky sheet. I wouldn't bother trying to cut it into 4 unless that's how I'd present it for a meal.

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 23:37 »
I've just ordered seeds for these for next year after reading all the good reviews  -

no one said you coldn't get into them  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02 »
Personally, I find turnips harder (and more dangerous) to cut than Kuri squash. And they really are very tasty and sweet, so its one I'll keep growing.

xx
`Uchiki Kuri

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2020, 20:38
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.