Greenhouse tomatoes

• 38 Replies

Countrydweller

Greenhouse tomatoes
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:16 »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can tell me why our greenhouse toms are not doing a patch on the ones in the garden? The garden ones are surging forth with huge toms and the greenhouse ones are so small, the worst year we have ever had for them. The greenhouse ones are Gardener's Delight and Shirley, the outdoor ones, not a clue, they were surplus at the the animal rescue's jumble.
Thanks for any advice, much appreciated. :)

compostqueen

Re: Greenhouse tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 00:02 »
My indoor ones are pants too but I think they'll get there eventually  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:37 »
The variety can make a huge difference to ripening times, so as they're different to the ones outside it's difficult to compare them. Are the inside ones in soil or in pots/growbags, have they been fed?
Garden toms have more access to water and nutrients than ones in  pots or growbags.

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18 »
I grow at least six different varieties each year and this year my outdoor plants are outstripping the ones in the greenhouse and my plastic greenhouses.  My cherry toms were the first to ripen outside and are only just catching up in the greenhouse, the only ones that have performed as usual are my Golden Sunrise which are from seeds I saved from last years crop.  I am sure that the unusual cold summer weather is to blame.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:23 »
I grow at least six different varieties each year and this year my outdoor plants are outstripping the ones in the greenhouse and my plastic greenhouses.  My cherry toms were the first to ripen outside and are only just catching up in the greenhouse..........................
I am sure that the unusual cold summer weather is to blame.

You'd expect that to delay the outside ones as well, though, wouldn't you!
Tis all very strange  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 20:22 »
It is all rather weird isn't it?  :ohmy:

Outdoor ones seem to be doing better than thos in polytunnels for lots of us on our site this year.

Hope the big B keeps away  :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 20:25 »
Same here.

The outside ones are taller than the greenhouse. Some of the greenhouse ones have only made it halfway to the roof.

The height could be the varieties though as those in the greenhouse are heritage ones and "normal" ones outside, but the outside ones do look far more healthy.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 23:47 »
I spied a ripe tomato in my greenhouse today. At last. Falls over in dead faint  :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 00:51 »
Although ripening seems slow this year my greenhouse plants are plastered with fruit.

Sungold, Bambino, Gardeners Delight and Sweet Million all performing equally well. As for height - they're growing up and out of the roof vents.  ::)

I'd love to grow some outside too but b***** for the last few years made this a waste of time and effort. I'm sure outside toms taste better when you can get them.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:21 »
Yup, outside ones doing better here, but ripening slower, so there's an element of succession.

The amazing ones are down the road at Plot Growster, planted as spares just before the last frost, for a fighting chance - which they've taken with a vengeance!

Hopefully, they won't get blighted, and I can eventually count the trusses, which seem to be growing on oak tree trunks!

Damn glad I tried it out now, but let's wait until they're ripe - plenty of things can go wrong still...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:40 »
Not the best camera angle, but it's difficult to get one in that jungle.

These are mine at home - there's more on the plot. The monster ones in the foreground are "Brandywine" and I've really got to start pinching tops out.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:42 by DD. »

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:32 »
Good looking plants DD but you'll need a step ladder soon  ;)

chillinut

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:59 »
We must have been lucky we have had loads off our plants but there are still a lot more that aren't ripening yet

As it is our first year the hubby thought it would be a good idea to get A LOT of tomatoes going so we have gardeners delight shirley sweet millions ? black cherry sunrise amongs other unknown ones - the only one not ripening is the early ripening one we bought ha ha

All in the greenhouse - think we have started with botrytis as we didn't cut back for a couple of weeks and it got a bit junge like in there

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 16:14 »
We must have been lucky we have had loads off our plants but there are still a lot more that aren't ripening yet

As it is our first year the hubby thought it would be a good idea to get A LOT of tomatoes going so we have gardeners delight shirley sweet millions ? black cherry sunrise amongs other unknown ones - the only one not ripening is the early ripening one we bought ha ha

All in the greenhouse - think we have started with botrytis as we didn't cut back for a couple of weeks and it got a bit junge like in there

You could try:
Increacing ventilation - leave the windows open over-night and thin out some of the foliage to aid air circulation.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20 »
I had to have a thinning out session yesterday as the plants are getting very heavy and congested, plus I can't get in the greenhouse  :D   I found some long-forgotten aubs in there which were fruiting unbeknown to me  :D  Dry as a bone and still in small pots  :blush:

xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by brrian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:38
by stompy
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by mikeimp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 08:58
by Totty
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by pumpkingrower31 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 22:26
by Marcus10
xx
Tomatoes and Peppers in a greenhouse

Started by carbon337 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.