Free and Wild Food

• 187 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Free and Wild Food
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2013, 10:01 »
Sloes have been really big. Odd thing is I don't know where to collect the around here. Stompy started this, any suggestions? I got all min in the Lake District,.

Paddy

No sloes around here :( . Went on a special journey a few weeks back to a supposedly good spot and loads of sloe bushes, but no fruit. Not seen a hint of one locally and I do a loat of running around trails keeping an eye out. Loads of rosehips though :) so I've made some rosehip jelly which is really nice, although I'm not sure what the rosehip taste is or if I'm just tasting the lemon and orange which goes in with the rosehips :unsure:

Can you share the recipe please Nobbie
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2013, 15:59 »
I just googled it, but can't find it now. Basically a load of rosehips, a big bramley apple, an orange and a lemon. Roughly chop up the last three and put in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to boil and simmer for an hour and then give it a good mash. Strain of the liquid in a muslin bag overnight and the boil up with a pound of sugar to each pint of juice until setting point is reached and then put in jars :)

snowdrops

« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2013, 20:33 »
Thank you

sion01

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2014, 17:24 »
I know that all this wild weather is wreaking havoc around the country and many people are suffering in many ways and my heart goes out to them and wish that things get back to normal for them as quickly as possible.

One positive outcome around this area of these high winds are that scallops get washed on to the beach,sometimes by the bag load.I suspect that it happens in a lot of places where the beaches are sandy.If the shell is intact and it closes when you pick it up its alive and good to eat.If you'r not confident that it is alive put it in a bucket of salty water and after a few minutes it should open up and push its little feelers out.They won't be as plump as they are in the summer at this time of year but taste out of this world.Just make sure it is safe to go on the beach and be aware of the tides,it might be worth a look

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28 »
I'm on my way - I just love scallops :lol:
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2014, 12:43 »
I should think they're all eaten by now  ;)

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2014, 13:23 »
oops silly me :lol: :lol:

Ema

« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2015, 13:19 »
I have 10L of elderflower fizz brewing at the mo, I love this stuff! This batch is a little odd looking so I will probably make another 10L before the flowers disappear in a few weeks.

I normally buy 20p 2L plastic water bottles to bottle them in so there's no exploding glass in the kitchen.

Including sugar, lemonds, a little yeast and the bottle its about 60p for 2L last years batch was quite alcoholic but who knows what this will be like

Aled

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37 »
Another interesting thread I've missed. Marking to read again!
Cheers
Aled

Aled

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2016, 09:00 »
I have caught up with this thread. Nice to read of others foraging exploits. I love foraging, and quite enjoy pot hunting, and fishing. Most years I gather sloes (this years sloe gin being decanted next week), blackberries, apples, and  hazel nuts. I also try to catch my own fish, sea trout & trout mostly, but the odd salmon and mackerel has graced my table. Finally I have a gun (licensed by the way), and pheasant, duck, pigeon, woodcock, and the odd rabbit are also enjoyed. An interesting book written in the 70's is "Living off the land" written by John Humphreys, its a laid back look at how we can enjoy a more sustainable lifestyle.
Cheers
Aled

BSRobin

« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2016, 17:48 »
Brambles... annual free food if you train them.

If you are Fortunate to have Brambles aka blackberry's growing at yr Allotments...don't just kill them all. Instead cut one or two down far enough to dig them out, roots and all. Then move the root ball (you can dig under them as they don't got that far down- perhaps a foot,) to a spot where you can let it grow and then "Train" the laterals along as you would a grape or espalier. You can as I do weave the laterals sideways along a fence, in and out until next year when the fruit forms you will have blackberry's but under yr control.  I'm fortunate to have a wire and stick boundary fence for this, and have two or three young seeded brambles I identified and potted into buckets until I decide where to place them/train them. I keep them in check and only allow shoots that will grow along, not out before the "side shoots," start flowering. It's worked for this and last year... The fruit from the brambles at my Bristol East Allotments in St George, BS5 are to die for. The last fruit I picked was in late September. I'd had weeks of picking, without the prickles and scars!  Lastly, a top with being stung by nettles...never ever touch the spot where you have been stung. I simply "Ignore," the fact that I have been stung. By not allowing myself to dwell on the issue, the feeling goes away...80% of the time with twenty minutes. If you scratch you will feel the sting for hours.

Aled

« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45 »
Sounds Interesting BSRobin. My Aunt in Gosport used to leave the bramble bush on her back fence, to harvest the blackberries in the autumn, she made some lovely pies!
Cheers
Aled 

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2017, 11:52 »
Told sloes are looking like a great year. Only just started checking don't look great to me. Need to look at different area. On other hand elderberry and Blackberry look like bumper crops.
Mushrooms so far excellent....fairy ring good, saint George early and good and The Prince...see pictures!!
20170726_185953.jpg
20170726_190122.jpg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:56 by cc »

Aled

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2017, 13:11 »
Nice one cc, hazel nuts are going mad near me, will be harvesting soon.
Cheers
Aled

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2017, 20:38 »
Nice one cc, hazel nuts are going mad near me, will be harvesting soon.
Cheers
Aled
I don't pay much attention to trees other than firewood. I put a couple of apps on my phone to identify trees. Need to use it more. Spot hazel a few times but not recently. Need to put them on my list for foraging. One of my mushroom apps has a good map save. Need to add hazel to it. AND sweet chestnut. Thanks go out now and look for them.

xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
Free food!

Started by beki on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 51 queries.