removing sweetcorn kernels

• 5 Replies

rubyrose

removing sweetcorn kernels
« on: June 10, 2011, 15:20 »
Hi i know it's early in the year yet for sweetcorn but last year i tried slicing the kernels off the cobs after blanching without much sucsess. I am hoping someone can tell me how to remove them for freezing. i had a lot of cobs last year if this year is hopefully the same the kernels take up less room in the freezer
thanks

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: removing sweetcorn kernels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 16:01 »
These instructions show the process quite clearly:

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcorn.htm

They don't look very tidy though and don't come off as individual kernels, which is I think what you might be after.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rubyrose

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 22:38 »
Thanks for the link Argille I didnt do strips last time and split lots of Kernels.  But will try again this year

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:19 »
I must be a horrible person because I never blanch my freezer corn. Just husk it, pull off all the silks, use a long knife with a D shaped handle that is easy to hold, and start slicing like the link showed. As I cut, someone bags them, squeezes out the air, ties and pops the bags into the freezer. We can get through 10 dozen cobs in about 20 minutes.

To cook them, I place a desired quantity in a microwave dish, heat for 2 minutes, drain off water, add salt and butter, cook up to 2 more minutes depending on quantity, stir the butter into the hot corn and serve.

The key I found is having the right knife for the slicing process. Went through several, including blisters, before I found the right one.

rubyrose

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 22:14 »
thanks for advice Trillium, I think i will invest in a new knife and try your way. will save a lot of time too not blanching.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13 »
I know many people prefer the blanched first taste, but I find it yukky, which is why I prefer to simply cut and freeze immediately. Try to get the freshest corn you can and it makes a difference. Corn that sat around in the shops for a day or two have already changed to starch which makes it a tougher chew. I go to a local organic farm market first thing in the morning and wait for their daily, freshly picked corn to come in. I rush home and we start cutting.

xx
Stripping sweetcorn kernels from the cob

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2021, 18:41
by madcat
xx
Removing labels

Started by GraciesGran on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 02, 2022, 13:20
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Removing labels and bottling

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 04:19
by agapanthus
xx
Marmalade - removing inside of Limes?

Started by DanielCoffey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2020, 14:24
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.