cockerel

• 9 Replies

samuria

• Experienced Member
cockerel
« on: May 28, 2011, 17:33 »
hi folks, could you tell me if you are allowed to keep a cockerel in your back garden  :unsure:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 17:35 by samuria »

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 18:42 »
Hi Samuria,

unless you have several acres of land and don't have many neighbours nearby then the answer is most probably 'No', but you will have to check with your local council for a definitive answer.

Some councils let you have a few hens in the back garden for eggs, others don't but I can't imagine any council letting you have a cockerel if you are in a built up area.

sorry.

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 19:48 »
oh s+it, thats put pay to that idea, thanks for reply :(

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 20:41 »
I cant understand why cockerals aren't allowed, but dogs are. Lets face it, once night time comes, you hear nothing from the henhouse, but dogs can bark all through the night. From experience, I know this to be true!! >:(

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 21:17 »
Frustrating I know. When I mentioned I was getting hens to my neighbours the first question they asked was "are you getting a cockerel?". I can bet you they would be ringing the council in a blink if I said yes, and yet two of them have the happiest of dogs!
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:14 »
Some deeds also have an exclusion clause. Cockerels are generally to be avoided in an urban environment.

My chooks are kept a quarter of a mile outside our village and I have had a complaint about cockerel (now deceased, but not because of the complaint!!)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:54 »
when i had to visit my sister, i took the poorly brahma with me. only just put him in the pen and the door bell went....

'how long is that cockerel staying for?'

my sister told him that the bird could barely breathe - forget crow and if he'd looked out a few seconds longer, he'd have noticed that it was visibly ill.

fact is, some people can't see past their own noses - i don't remember my parent's complaining when his mother played piano and sang badly late into the night with back door wide open, when he used to listen to loud ganster rap and the walls and windows  vibrated or when he sounds like a hooligan if the footy's on!

sad but true
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:41 »
I agree Shetan, its very sad.  I'd rather listen to our cockerels enjoying themselves outside than noisy kids, dogs, adults shouting and swearing at each other, music, motorbikes etc.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 14:44 »
Hear hear!  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Raven81

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 16:32 »
We have reasonably small garden and when we checked with the council they said we can have up to 13 hens (I don't know where they expect we'd keep that many) but no cockerel. When I spoke to my neighbour I made sure I mentioned this so she'd know that it could be worse - we only have 6!!
I understand why we can't have a cockerel but as previous posts have stated, a barking dog is worse, plus for my neighbour, surely the cat up the road that has destroyed her fence is more bother!
I wouldn't risk getting one if you aren't allowed as you'd have to get rid of it - my mum had this to her as a child!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders
xx
Cockerel or not?!

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 18:49
by joyfull
xx
ill cockerel

Started by rachels-e on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 11:25
by lisa80
xx
cockerel or not?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:06
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 35 queries.