Price of a chicken?

• 2 Replies

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
Price of a chicken?
« on: April 03, 2011, 22:12 »
Had a drive to a localish farm to see what they had. Looked in on the pigs and pigglets, but had to move away because the amonia smell was making me gag. Looked in the lambing barn which is always a wonder to see. Did see where the chickens lived. Big open field with a few goats and ponies. They had a static caravan for a home, but most of them had scaly leg mite, and one, the poor thing, was plucked so much she wouldn't have looked out of place in a roasting pan!  Went into the farmshop to have a poke about. Was highly alarmed at the price of an organic free range chicken! How much is about right to pay for such a thing?

jinty1911

Re: Price of a chicken?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 22:31 »
I wouldn't pay anything just report them to RSPCA.  >:(

Casey76

Re: Price of a chicken?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:09 »
It depends on how much you are willing to pay ;)

If I bought an organic, free range, chicken, more than 80 days at slaughter I'd probably pay about 15-20€ for a 1.5kg bird

If I bought a "value" chicken, i.e. barn raised, 56 days at slaughter (this is the minimum in France) I'd probably pay 4-5€ for a 1.5kg bird

If I eat my own, fairly free range, standard food chicken, about 12-14 weeks at slaughter, the price probably works out at about 30-40€ for a 2kg bird, taking into account the electric, pellets, grain etc not to mention the time plucking and dressing.

When I don't have any chickens running on, chicken meat is a very rare treat as I refuse to buy the "value" meat!

xx
Price of orpingtons!

Started by asd1 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 15:17
by boosmummy
xx
Price of stuff.

Started by Lawrence on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 23:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Current price of POL and feed etc.

Started by richyrich7 on Chicken Chat

38 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 09:38
by Aidy
xx
60% price increase on eggs here in bulgaria

Started by Mosslane on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 16:29
by andreadon

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.