Think i'm going to kill my neighbour-well not really.......

• 44 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Think i'm going to kill my neighbour-well not really.......
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 22:36 »
Can you not make the roof slope so that it all runs off onto your garden ?

wildwitchy

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 22:45 »
You cannot reason with him. He is totally irrational.

The fence is part of my coop (been built for years). Can't move structure away from fence. The roof has been like that for 3 half years previously. Never moaned before when tarpalin was on??????

Fence belongs to us. Our boundary. There is a empty space other side of fence. His shed is away from fence as it is a bit of a empty triange space (if you get what I mean).

I told the police I will cut it back yet again.

wildwitchy

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 22:49 »
Can you not make the roof slope so that it all runs off onto your garden ?

It is a flat roof, which slopes slightly towards the other side which i'm putting guttering on to catch the water & downpipe. I can't remember who said guttering.

Paul Plots

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 00:38 »
I know it would be a heck of a lot of work (and why should you do it anyway) but if it were me I'd move the entire chicken coup and run away from the fence even if I had to move that section of fence as well and buy a new panel to replace it.

Then I'd completely ignore the neighbour unless he came onto my property, was threatening or abusive.

I would go as far as carrying a small digital voice recorded - they are very small and can be switched on in a second. If the neighbour started up I would not reply unless forced to for my safety but would keep the voice recording as evidence of his comments/complaints/threats.

I would be careful not to take photos of him as this could lead to further fuss.

I'm not sure if you stated this somewhere in this thread but do you have legal advice/ support/protection through your household insurance. It's a relatively cheap annual sum and might come in useful.

A solicitors advice and letter may help put a stop to this even if the police seem to be supporting both sides.

I really do sympathise with you. My parents had a similar situation... not solved but no longer on-going.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 00:51 »
Learner, that is very boring advice.  And (in my opinion) absolutely spot on.  Even if you moved the shed a foot or two away from the boundary, it will show any observers (police, mediators, courts  :blink:) that you have done everything you can to put things right with this neighbour. 

If he keeps causing trouble after that, it will be very clear to everyone where the problem lies.

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 01:11 »
Learner, that is very boring advice.  And (in my opinion) absolutely spot on.  Even if you moved the shed a foot or two away from the boundary, it will show any observers (police, mediators, courts  :blink:) that you have done everything you can to put things right with this neighbour. 

If he keeps causing trouble after that, it will be very clear to everyone where the problem lies.

"Me? Boring??   :tongue2:  :ohmy: Yeah, I know  :lol:  :lol:  You don't all have to agree at once though.

I would put a huge amount of effort into not noticing the neighbour too.

For the past year or more I have been in and out of my parents place several times a day, every day. I have not once looked in the neighbour's direction even when I've heard them an arms length away on the other side of the fence or in their kitchen which overlooks my parents side access. I simply do not acknowledge their existence.

My parents are rarely outside of their home without me next to them so I can curtail any questions / comments about “the neighbours”. Peace quiet and tranquillity reign.

The neighbours don't storm up my parents drive or swear at them on the door step or make threats and they have complete and utter privacy. Few people have anything to do with them in the immediate neighbourhood as they have fallen out with several households as well as my parents.

The status quo is restored. The stress diminished and life is peaceful. It's worth the ongoing effort. And... they have a "for sale" board up at last.  ;)

I am quietly praying it won’t be out of the frying pan into the fire if/when new neighbours move in.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 01:19 »
Hi WW
unless there is a physical/practical problem, or you don't want to give in, I agree Learners advice seems the way to go, as Lindeggs says it would show it isn't you that's the cause of the problem, however smug (or guilty) he feels, it would be you who can hold your head up among the other neighbours (and officialdom)
A high fence or similar may help as well  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 01:32 »
It will be very hard to resist feeling as if you'd like to clock him one or get your own back.

But, in my humble opinion, that is not the way to go about getting a peaceful, relaxing home back again.

I was furious with the couple next-door to my very elderly parents. But, despite the threats and the demands I was polite and reasonable. (I remain totally unforgiving).

I made very sure that the neighbours would have nothing to complain about on my account and that my parents also followed suit.

It really is worth the effort in the long run. You can show that you have done your very best to keep the peace. After that put it in the hands of others and take a big step back for your own peace of mind and well-being.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 08:07 »
Hi WW, firstly just to say that I think everyone appreciates that your life must be very difficult living next door to creatures like that! And we all sympathise.  It really can take over your life (in-laws had similar problems) and become the thing which you think of most.  In my opinion, you surely just want to enjoy having your chickens and get on with life without the fuss.  Even though it is your boundary, I think there are no points to be scored by continuing any discussion about the water/rain issue as your neighbour is obviously at the end of their rope.  Is it possible for you to move the coop like was suggested previously?  My concern would be that they might then go on to harm the chickens if they can reach the roof so easily.  Also, it would show some willing, even if the fault is all the neighbours.  I am sure it must be stressful for them too.  If you think they are there longterm, would you consider something like mediation so you could all live a bit more peacefully?  All the best and take care

8doubles

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 08:32 »
I hate my neighbour.  :ohmy: :mad:

Came home tonight after being on duty all day to find he had shoved a peice of wood under the roof of new coroline roofing on my chicken coop pen to stop (what he thinks) the rain from going into his garden off my roof.

I was livid. This caused the roof to bend upwards & make a large gap for any preditiors to get in to my girls. Good job I spotted it before nightfall.

I've already lost 4 to the fox!

I am so sick of this man & his behaviour & damaging our property. I ended up phoning the police.  :(

From the photo you provided after cutting the roof back the neighbour was right and you were wrong.
If you do not realise this i would also doubt your other one sided whinges about the neighbour.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 08:04 »
Best thing to do is get some guttering as everyone said but that is not much fun. there are more satisfying ways to win wars. For example a friend of mine bought some land submitted plans and all the neighbours complained so he drew new plans re submitted and neighbours complaind. So he offered them all free land to extend there gardens still some neighbours complained £10,000 and 3.5 years later he gets fed up and tells all neighbours than if they complain about the next plans he will sell the land to gypsies as it would be worthless if he couldn't build on it.
After a good whinge and realising he could sell the land to whoever he wanted
 no complaints

ww I'm not sugesting you sell your garden but be clever and you will win 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 10:19 »
Sounds a nightmare WW, but if this guy is the sort he sounds like, he could be living for all this aggro and will force the fight on you if you let him.  I think Learner is right to advise moving the coop and then cutting this man dead.

My neighbours one side are lovely and raving loonies the other side.  The loonies are retired, never go anywhere, don't speak to the majority of the neighbours and live for making their own and everyone else's misery. 

I had Mrs Loon round once shouting my car was parked in front of their house.  It wasn't and I said so.  Then I get a Community Support officer round asking if i could move my car as it was upsetting Mr & Mrs Loon.  I walked out onto the drive where my car was and asked how he thought my car was anywhere near her property.  He said' To be fair, there is a similar car in front of her house'  I said 'To be fair Sunshine, both you and her have walked past my car on my drive to knock on my door to tell me my car is out on the road, legally parked in front of her house"  :wacko:  Exit CS officer and heard him giving Mrs Loon a right telling off next door  ::)

I cut them dead now.  They even took to doing their weekly shop at the same time as me on my day off.  When I went out in my car, they literally followed in theirs and then followed me round T****s.  Still cut them dead and they got the message after a couple of weeks   ;)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10 »
i like everyone else has read the original post and replys and i still stand by my reasoning the neighbours are jackarses and need a slap abit provocative i dont think so send them to live next door to me

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20 »
Thank you flitwickone for your reasoned judgement on hearing only one side of the story.

30 years in the police and seeing many tales like this tell me that this thread has run it's course.

I will close it.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

wildwitchy

Thankyou.
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 13:22 »
Thankyou to everyone for their replys on my neighbour issue post. I was in london all day yesterday & I've only just read all the replys. Thanks to everyone for the various useful ways to go which have been comforting (sometimes you feel like you're the only one). As Digger Dave says, it has run its course & time to close. I have all sympathies with the police who are in middle of these issues but the policeman dealing with ours has been a brilliant meadiator for both parties.  :)

I never had chance to say thanks so this is it to everyone who contributed. Could a moderator please lock this comment for me as I don't want any more replys or high blood pressure caused.

Thankyou. x

xx
if looks could kill!

Started by Aidy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2018, 11:19
by Aidy
question
Neighbour's cockerel

Started by Smokeymoe on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2020, 20:05
by grinling
xx
Whingy neighbour.

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 13:10
by jay001
xx
Neighbour from hell

Started by Flump on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2017, 19:49
by Rhys

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 36 queries.