Cockerels and Allotment Meeting

• 26 Replies

elibump

Re: Cockerels and Allotment Meeting
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 18:46 »
Another situation where I realise how lucky I am.  I live in the country and nearly everyone here has poultry including cockrels and, like myself geese so its expected.

We just had neighbours arrive in the house at the bottom of the garden next to the poultry compound (its been empty since we moved here) and coincidentallly discovered that Toulouse geese are less noisy than our white ones so we made a decision to change our geese to Toulouse ones for the future.  We explained this to the neighbours who said that they didnt have a problem with the noise of our geese and that they were shocked we thought we should change things for them as they had only just arrived here.  Such a different point of view - they also feed our chickens and geese any suitable kitchen scraps they have.

Sorry to ramble just shocked, as always with this sort of thing, its so very different here.

Eli xx

Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 19:34 »
Seething is futile as they don't have the law on their side - sad but true.

The law is an ass, I'll go for morality every time.  ;) :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 19:46 »
If you think the law is an ass the only way to go against it is to try to get it changed.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 19:58 »
But then the new law will be an ass too.

Catch 22.

Dominic

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08 »
You arent legaly entitled to keep a cockrell on yiour allotment, but that doesnt mean you arent allowed to either.
Its not illegal, you just have no special rights in the matter.

If your allotment society has received complaints, its probably wise to stop it, but no complaint, no problem.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 14:17 »
I don't know anything about raising pheasants, but we have a wild one that thinks he's part of our hen flock and even thinks it is okay to peruse the run!  He's handsome, likes routine, and very tame.  We went to a farm shop yesterday that was selling dressed pheasants and charging £6.25 a bird.  That should give you a figure to work backwards from financially! ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

madcat

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 15:12 »
Your wild pheasant wouldn't be allowed on Scabs' allotment -  he will have to keep hen pheasants and turkey hens.  No males allowed (I was going to give them their proper names but could see spam filters exploding everywhere!).

How the committee would legislate for the one that sleeps in the tree at the end of our plot I don't know!   :D  He's a noisy blighter but completely wild!

PS  plucked and dressed pheasant are £3 a bird in the farm shops round here during the shooting season ... 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

naopll10

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 06:00 »
i live in brisbane australia so since you can't keep roosters in suberbia here we'll keep the rooster inside, and we'll get some chicken nappies for him :D.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 06:33 »
do you really think that is fair to him? Chickens are social creatures and need company of other chickens. Also what will you do about him crowing as this is the main reason for not being allowed to keep cockerels and being in the house certainly won't stop that.
Staffies are softer than you think.

mgf

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 21:22 »
In Scotland "poultry" is allowed in the Scottish Allotment act which of course includes both hens and cockerels.

However when there is excessive noise or a nuisance to other plot holders or neighbours this would be an issue.

grinling

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 17:16 »
3 owners had cockerels, then a new person moved into the houses nest to the allotment and complained about the noise. They were all found homes. 1 person does have ducks, which are not permitted,but the council have allowed her to keep them. Her rabbits have now been refused (kept escaping) as they are pets and she will not go on the course to learn to kill them.3 bee keepers.
My bantam is extremely noisy, but as she is a hen they are stuck with her!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 17:22 »
As you point out grinling, animals kept on allotments are for food production - eggs and meat.  If you don't kill your rabbits they are not meat and I don't think they lay eggs ;)

xx
Cockerels :(

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 21:04
by evie2
xx
When do young cockerels ............

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 17:40
by ANHBUC
xx
Unwanted cockerels - where to take them?

Started by dcvh007 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 08:07
by New shoot
xx
do cockerels need company like hens?

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 23:49
by storme37

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.