does eveyone have to take a sick chick to the vet?

• 33 Replies

hillfooter

Re: does eveyone have to take a sick chick to the vet?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 12:31 »
Oh and have to withdraw eggs for 4 weeks  :(  :( just when I've started getting 2 eggs a day for the first egg.  What a waste.

Hmmmm!  Sounds very much on the safe side but probably because, as I understand it, Baytril 2.5% is intended for exotics treatment where you don't obviously eat the eggs.   So administering in a few discrete high concentrations hasn't been tested on poultry. 

Using 10% and the low concentration water medicated route is the only method commercial poultry will have been tested for (a farmer with thousands of birds wouldn't administer by gavage) and by this method I believe 1 week is the recommended withdrawal period. 

If the loss of eggs bothers you could suggest to the vet administering it in smaller evenly spaced out doses which is obviously more work for you.
HF
Truth through science.

jinty1911

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53 »
I have just read that egg withdrawal should be for 2 weeks after finishing the course so vet saying 4 weeks from start is only 4 days extra.  Just find it sad that the girls are keeping to their part of the deal and giving us eggs for them to be thrown away.  :( Will do it secretly so they can see  :lol:  :lol:

What would you advise to do about the feather cyst?

hillfooter

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 13:14 »
I have just read that egg withdrawal should be for 2 weeks after finishing the course so vet saying 4 weeks from start is only 4 days extra.  Just find it sad that the girls are keeping to their part of the deal and giving us eggs for them to be thrown away.  :( Will do it secretly so they can see  :lol:  :lol:

What would you advise to do about the feather cyst?

Withdrawal is usually measured from the end of the treatment :blink:  You could always feed them back to the birds well scrambled or hardboiled and crumbled.

Can't suggest any treatment for the cyst.  Surgery is obviously an option which only your vet could do but really this is probably going too far. :(  You need to wait first until the MG problems are successfully resolved before you worry about any further treatment.

HF
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 15:39 by hillfooter »

jinty1911

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 13:35 »
Yeah think that would be a bit too much.  Will keep an eye on it and maybe antibiotics will help if it is a cyst.  :unsure:

xx
Another sick chick

Started by annfill on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 13:36
by bantam novice
xx
Please help - Sick chick

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 11:44
by ehs284
xx
Sick Chick

Started by heifer on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 22:49
by Danielle280
xx
Sick Chick

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 01:11
by chickenlittle

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.