Drilling a hard wall

• 6 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Drilling a hard wall
« on: February 09, 2011, 20:06 »
Some of the walls in my home are rather hard ,not sure what type of brick but when I use a masonry bit with mains drill on hammer action I get about 3/4 inch in and no more. Normally use 6mm bit and red raw plug. Have tried using smallest bit 2mm(?) to create a pilot hole but risk ruining bit.

Advice anyone please
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Lardman

Re: Drilling a hard wall
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 20:33 »
Are you sure you're only drilling brick ? Older cable trunking used to be galvanized metal and would stop a cheap masonry drill bit.

Get a good drill bit, all these budget bits are so soft its a joke, Something like Irwin or at least dewalt the difference is remarkable.

We'd need to know more about your house (like age) if that doesn't solve your problem. The walls could be stone rather than brick or those nice 1930 bricks that make granite look soft  :D I've got those.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 20:45 »
A good quality bit in a slower drill with a stronger hammer action normally does the trick, with small fast drills with weak hammer action it is too easy to melt the tips out of 'pound shop' masonry bits.

If there are small flints in the wall this, http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-100677-Rawlplug-Mason-Master-Hand-Tool-4-5mm-No-8-Size.html
and a large hammer will get through.

If you are fixing battens for curtain tracks the problem may be steel box lintels which need a high speed steel drill bits after you have gone through the render/plaster.
Always check for cables and pipes before drilling.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 21:05 »
Thanks for the info.

The house was built in the 1930s. We have chatted to our neighbour (Semi detached) has encountered the same. I tried to drill in one of the bedrooms - for shelving and happened to 'hit' a mortar course - the drill flew in! and then the same problem.

I think a visit to the DIY store is in order and get myself a set of bits, have looked on amazon at the Irwin ones , the reviews suggest a good product.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 21:41 »
I have been driling into solid concrete this week, first a garage floor then fence posts using a SDS drill which was fairly easy so would suggest you hire one BUT BUT BUT I am not sure SDS bits go as small as you are talking about as they have to be very robust, I was drilling for blue plugs and fairly large screws because I was fixing timbers to take a lot of strain.
I would reinforce all the others who warned about cables, buried pipes, flying particles etc - stay safe.
R

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 21:54 »
I agree with RichardA: -
Use cable finder to ensure your not drilling in to cables/ capping.
Use an SDS drill with SDS drill bits and yes they do go down to small sizes.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 22:02 »
They do make SDS bits that small but to be honest for a few holes its not worth it.

I wouldn't order from choiceful if you paid me !

I could tell you my horror story about 3 incorrect deliveries for a some syphon diaphragms, ignored emails and calls and a Paypal charge back that required me to return the goods recorded delivery at my expense - but I wont.  :D

xx
A log wall?

Started by corco2000 on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 19:46
by peapod
clip
Dry stone wall top

Started by Flagstaffview on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2020, 06:50
by Growster...
xx
Polytunnel on dwarf wall

Started by AnneB on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 13:49
by Dullnote
xx
Bricking it. How do I build a wall?

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 16:44
by shaun

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.