Chrysanthemum

• 7 Replies

Elaine G

Chrysanthemum
« on: January 01, 2011, 13:26 »
I had quite a nice chrysanthemum on my windowsill, but it went very limp and all the flowers died. It probably did not get enough water while I was away.
So, I have trimmed off all the dead flowers and soaked it for a while. Will this be any use?
Is it likely to flower again or are they designed/forced to flower and die, in which case  shall I just put it into the compost bin?

I am not good with houseplants  ::)

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

cob nut

• Experienced Member
Re: Chrysanthemum
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 17:57 »
When I have been given chrysanthemums in pots after the flowering has finished or the plant is looking sad, I put the pot outside on the patio, they flower again for me & were doing brilliantly this winter until the snow covered them...I have kept pots of these 'mums growing on the patio like this for years now with them flowering every autumn/winter.

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 18:36 »
Oh thanks for that cob nut. I had stuck it in the utility room (warm) for now. Looks like it would be better off somewher a little cooler, though I think the patio may be a little unkind at the moment!

Elaine

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 18:47 »
Elaine if you can place it in an unheated greenhouse, cool room or a cold-frame it should survive. Trim away any dead foliage and don't over water - very slightly damp is good enough.

Once the weather improves and warms you could plant it out in the garden or into a larger pot. Quite often they are treated with dwarfing agents so when they re-grow they are often taller and less compact.

How many plants have you in the pot? It is common for more than one cutting to be used to produce a pot plant for indoors. These can be split up later on and you may, if all goes well, end up with several plants from the original one pot full.

Most people, however, tend to treat them like a cut flower - once they've done their thing they are discarded.

Good luck!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 17:12 »
Thanks Learner, there will be an unheated greenhouse at the end of next week  :D so they will go there.
And I have had a look and yes there are quite a few cuttings in the pot so I might have quite a few next year.
So thanks everyone for your help.

Elaine

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 00:34 »
Take care Elaine G!! It is so easy to get hooked on growing chrysanths!!  ::)

I started with just a very few cuttings grown for cut-flowers and have enough for a double row!!

Easy to cultivate of they are the non-fussy hardy ones for the garden and you can take cuttings and increase your stock.

Have a look at Woolmans if you're interested.

Down on the plot:
August 8th 2010 (21).jpg

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 21:48 »
Just reviving this this thread to say I now have 5 sturdy chrysanthemum plants which I am now hardening off to put into the garden.
I also have another plant on my windowsill, bought for £1 from the garden centre (cashier error, should have been £1 off!) with several plants in the pot. I intend to do the same with this when flowering is over.
May even venture to Woolmans next year!
So, a big thank you to Learner for his advice, and I think I am hooked now!

Elaine

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 00:33 »
Pleased to hear everything is going well Elaine.

Mine are sitting in boxes in a cold (very tonight) greenhouse and will soon be out during the day before heading to the plot.

I hope you get lots of flowers. Don't forget... cuttings are pretty easy to take if I can do it.  ;)

xx
chrysanthemum's

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2017, 12:09
by sunshineband
xx
Chrysanthemum help.

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post August 04, 2020, 15:50
by Elaine G
xx
Chrysanthemum cuttings

Started by Bombus on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 15:16
by Bombus
xx
When to take Chrysanthemum cuttings?

Started by Nobbie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 20:09
by greenjay

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 34 queries.